High Physical Memory %

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curbkiddytech

In Runtime
Just got a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM for Christmas.
Motherboard: Rampage III Formula
CPU: Intel Core i7 Bloomfield 950- 3.06 Ghz
RAM: 3 GBs G.Skill (Triple Channel)

Now just sitting at the desktop with 2 tabs in an internet browser, Steam (no game playing), and MSN my Physical Memory is at around 45-50%. These numbers seem oddly higher than my older hardware. Do I need to adjust the page file settings to correct this number and if so make the page file bigger or smaller, or do I need to correct this another way?

Check your background programs in Task Manager. What is taking up the most of that RAM?

I have 8GB of G.Skill Ripjaw, and I am using 23% of it. That's with all my programs, and Chrome with 11 tabs.

wdm.exe is using 17,588K
Setpoint.exe is using 161,984K (this is the software for my wireless keyboard and mouse i think)
iexplore.exe is using 39,684K with just 1 tab.

Those would be the highest on the list of processes going right now.

Setpoint is a config for Logitech devices. I use the same.

WDM is for Windows Defender. It does not need to run in the background.

Go Run -> msconfig
Look at the startup tab. Anything you see checked there that you do not know about, you probably do not need.

Also, did you do a spyware check recently? Try Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D.

IE should not take up that much RAM. Try CCleaner to clean out IE.

This is normal for Windows Vista/7. These versions of Windows store commonly used data in the memory so that programs that you use a lot will load instantly. Of course all of the memory that is not in use is still available.

I don't think that 45 - 50% is normal for Windows Vista/7. I just checked 4 systems - two with 2Gb and two with 3Gb of RAM. They range from 28 - 35%. My 4 and 8Gb systems are running 24% and 19%.

This has nothing to do with the Page File. Win7 is very good at managing it, so I would leave it alone.

I have one IE9Beta session with one tab (this page) open and between the two processes (one is for automatic recovery) it shows 14,000K and 46,000K. So I don't think that 39,000K is bad. That said, if you have added several add-ons that may contribute to that figure.

Do note that when you are idle, Windows kicks in with background housekeeping chores so that may be part of the issue. Since this is a new system, indexing may be going on when you are idle. That will settle down when it completes indexing the whole drive(s).

What are you running for security? I would not disable Windows Defender unless you are running something else for an anti-spyware solution. I've been running with MSE since migrating my systems to Win7 and have no regrets. And it MSE will, or should, disable WD once installed as MSE includes anti-spyware and anti-malware solutions.

I have Firefox open with three tabs, FAH GPU Tracker running with both a SMP and GPU client, Hardware Monitor, Three Yahoo widgets, RocketDock, one sidebar widget, MS Security Essentials... a total of 89 processes using 26% of 8GB.

I have 49 processes running using 22% of 6GB. You should be able to open up the Windows Resource Monitor and see what processes are actually using or hogging your memory.

resource.jpg

My anti virus is PC Tools Spyware Doctor and I have the Registry Mechanic to go with it. Thanks for all the posts, I'll try those ideas out.

Well, note Spyware Doctor by itself is not an anti-malware scanner. For that, you need Spyware Doctor with Antivirus - which is not free. If you don't have that, then I recommend you get a full anti-malware scanner immediately. I use Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and am very happy with it - and it is free and has no costly renewal fees either. Since it includes an anti-spyware scanner, you can uninstall Spyware Doctor, or at least make it on-demand (so it is not running in real-time all the time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom