Can't troubleshoot Display Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezysk

In Runtime
I have a NVIDIA GeForce 6150se nForce 430 graphics card, and for some reason the 'change settings' to enable hardware acceleration under the Troubleshooting tab has been greyed out with this message:

"Your current display driver does not allow changes to be made to hardware acceleration settings."

I reinstalled the driver but with no effect. Sure could use some suggestions.

Running Vista 64 bit home premium.

Wait, isn't that not a graphics card, but an integrated graphics chip? Pretty sure my motherboard has the same thing.

Just something I wanted to point out. I don't know how to fix that, sorry.

I tried googling the issue, and found some users with a similar problem....but not much in a way of a solution. Anyways, this happened to me once before: Was searching programs to find out what was eating my drive space, and foud a folder in Common Files>PC Tools>Sd Monitor>Xml file. The Xml file was astonishingly huge, but managed in time, to roll back to a previous restore point. This time I couldn't catch it, as the Xml file exploded to 200 gigs, and consequently, no restore points were created. I had no choice but to delete the Xml file in safe mode. It was then that the display problems happened afterwards. Ran diagnostics tests, and everything passed. Gonna do a disk repair and possibly an F9 pc repair as well. Still looks like I may have to eventually reinstall Vista. Guess its time to back up some data.

Did a regedit on the : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video Nvidia profiles and it seems there were no values set. The were no acceleration settings either. Anyways, used System Mechanic to repair the registry, and it seems I have the previous display back...but still can't access hardware acceleration. Am tempted to install an earlier driver version, but I guess I can probably cope with this.

Not exactly sure what this is all about:

Product
Driver software installation

Problem
Could not install driver software for device

Date
12/31/2010 8:39 PM

Status
Not Reported

Description
Windows encountered a problem while installing device drivers for your Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: PnPDriverInstallError
Architecture: x64
Win32 error: 000005B3
Inf name: nvht.inf
Driver Package hash: dc9eee28f0924d9056398fdbc52475d0226ab475
DDInstall section name: nv_NV3x
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
DMI4B13.tmp.log.xml
oem53.inf