I5 vs I7 on an alien-ware Aurora plus questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObxChillin

Beta member
I got an alien-ware for x-mass, all i do is play wow. I want to know what kind of fps i will be looking at with this set up.

It only has an i5 500watt power. I'm worried that the i7 would have been so much better but i didn't have the money being only 17. I also plan to upgrade the graphics card to a ati 58 series with now i have a 5670 would the i5 bottleneck this card?

I was talking to dell support and i asked how i would go about upgrading the processor if i ever wanted and first they said i don't have the power supply for it i need a 875 watt. And then they said i cant anyways because dell does not support changing your processor. This is really ****ing me off because i spent 1000 bucks on this thing and i can even change stuff for the better? really?

Anyways this is the specs:

Intel Core i5 650 3.2GHz (4MB Cache)
3GB DDR3 at 1333MHz -(this will be the first thing I upgrade probably to a 6GB)
Single ATI 5670, 1GB GDDR5(planing to upgrade this aslong as the i5 wont bottle neck)
500GB - SATA-II 3Gb/s 7200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD (will stick a 1tb in here as well)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

What can i upgrade on this for max performance at a low cost. Also does dell still make there gear different so you cant buy after market parts like power sources? Is there a website where I can select a model of computer and it will tell me everything that will fit in it?

I love the computer its really nice looking its just a tad over-priced. If this becomes a nightmare i was going to cancel it in the 21 days i have and get a computer from ibuypower.

Actually, the i5 is plenty...... Overclock the *****! Alien wares are alot more flexible than Dell branded ones.

The i5 is a nice chip which will clock okay and not get bogged by gaming. But buy a cpu cooler to keep it safe but overclock it to like 4.0Ghz and it'll be an i7 basically.

I'd say the gpu is your slow part along with 3 gigs of ram. But with a 500W psu youre limited to only 1 card ;)

Other than a bit pricey its pretty good.

Yeah like i said im 17 so i dont have the credit to of paid for a 1500 dollar computer over like 6 months on a plan...

Uhh what can i do about the GPU

World of Warcraft dosent have crossfire so having a crossfire actually slows down fps on the game. can my computer handle a 57 58 or even 59 hundred ati?

I had the option when i was building to do it so i most likly can run a single card of almost anything.

Plans:
Add ram. 6gb should be enough wow dosent take much to run and im not gonna have a vista (hate vista).
Then overclock.
Then graphics card.

What card would be the best cause i dont want to overkill if it wont make much a diffrence.

The 5670 should play WoW decently.. Even 4Gig is fine for 90% of users, you'd have to see if its 2 sticks or just 1 3Gig.

A 5830 or 5770 would be perfect for WoW, and a 500W should handle it, but youll need to check how many Amps are on the 12V lines Will say on the psu label.

My honest opinion is you hink you got hosed, but you really didn't, and its fairly upgradeable. I'd play it as is and see how it goes.

Oh.. Welcome to the forums.

The thing is i can get an i7 with the 6gb from ibuypower. The thing is the comps there look kinda cheep. This is my first real gaming computer so i wanted something easy good looking and something i can work on.

I have the 21 days dell gives me so ill see how it goes.

yeah. I have always wanted an alienware even because of the price the ones at ibuypower are and seem to be cheeper. Thats good and bad i guess.

As long as its a good computer and its gonna last ill be happy.

XFX ATI Radeon HD 5830 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/HD MI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card HD583XZNFV - would that be decent? P.s. how would i know if it fits?

For the brief time that I played wow with my 5670, I ran WOW flawlessly with 60+FPS and all settings on either high or ultra(whatever the highest setting was). This was on a low resolution monitor 640x480 I believe. Also, I have not played since the release of Cataclysm, not sure if that included upgraded graphics or more graphic intensive areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom