Little advice on a first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerdyne6

Solid State Member
This is my first post and also my first computer build, I have been doing a little bit of research and I have come up with the following parts so far:

computer will be used mostly for gaming

I7 Setup

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
Processor: Intel I7 950 Processor
Memory: Corsair XMS3 (3x2GB) OR Kingston Hyper X (3x2GB)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 or 6870
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Quattro 850W OR Corsair HX 850W

I5 Setup

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Processor: Intel I5 760 Processor
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) CL8 OR CL9 (not sure on the difference)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD6850 or 6870
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Quattro 850W OR Corair HX 850W

If anyone has any comments or recommendations for me on the parts I have picked out so far that would be great

Mike

I'd go with the i5. But that's just because I have the same CPU and board. And love it. OCed the CPU to 4.0Ghz, too. I like G.Skill RAM also, the Ripjaw series. But Corsair will do you good.

I just built the i7 route with the 950 a gigabyte x58a-ud3r and OCZ Gold 1666 ram. I debated the x58d-e but the ud3r has 4 more ports and found it for 30Buck off.

I hit 4.1Ghz using the "easytune" software, and tweeked down the vcore and bumped the ram.

Saddly i wouldn't recommend either i5 or i7. Sandybridge is out in a week or 2... Wait till you see them.

thanks for the reply mindovermaster and patonb

I am a little torn between the lower end I7 processors and the higher end I5, which one will be the overall better processor as far as performance goes

will the power supplies that i listed be enough for what parts I have picked out?

this build will probably be about a month away so I will wait to see what new processors intel has coming out
again if anyone has any helpful info or recommendations that would be great

Thanks Mike

that is a great point patonb, i never thought of it like that

I was looking at the I5 2500K when it comes out should be a good pick

Mike

Disregard the last post that I wrote, its a typo

I meant that I was going to go with I5 760 and then in the future possibly upgrade to the I7

Thanks for the help everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom