Question about BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario Eats BK

Baseband Member
I'm trying to learn more about computers so I believe i'll be asking some question.

One question that I was wondering about is that, what does the BIOS do in a computer. I opened up the other day on my computer and there was a lot of things there. So whats the point of it? Thanks ;)

It is basically your mobos operating system. Through it all the parts work/comunicate with each other. It stands for Basic Input/Output Screen. Originally computers had no hard drives to have an operating system run it.

It also allows for the changing of things associated with the the parts, like the speedc of the processor, ram and how much power to put in them.

Thats a very vague description but just google it for exact answer.

It is basically your mobos operating system. Through it all the parts work/comunicate with each other. It stands for Basic Input/Output (System). Originally computers had no hard drives to have an operating system run it.

To expand upon this; The BIOS reads and initializes all of your systems devices and gives you an essential bit of control over your system. The BIOS is static, meaning it never changes and should always work unless your hardware fails. Which is why you should be extra careful when flashing/updating a BIOS. The most important role it plays after all of this is to boot up your operating system. The BIOS can boot an OS from any number of devices, HDDs, optical drives, floppies, USB drives. From that point on the OS takes over and you don't really see or interact with your BIOS.

Actually, BIOS does run with your OS. It controls your bus speed. That is how it manages Cool n Quiet, OCs, and so on.

Right. Sorry, bad wording. After the OS loads the BIOS is taken out of the picture as far as the user is concerned until next reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom