Upgrading a previous build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, been busy the past 2 days helping a friend's family move.

Thanks guys! I'll look into that processor! But will WoW work with Windows 7 64-bit? I'm pretty sure it does because my friend got Windows 7 and completely loves it and still plays WoW but I'm not 100% sure lol.

It's the only thing I have to do in my spare time right now and I don't really wanna give it up lol.

Out of curiosity, what if I just get Windows 7 64-bit home version without the processor? Will it still run okay? Including all the programs I run at once and such? Or will it be a lot slower without the quad core processor Trotter recommended?

Reason why I am asking is that if I can get away with just W7, I'd be happy. Like I said, I don't need anything FAST. Just something that's slightly faster than how it's setup now. Plus, having a 64-bit OS would tremendously with my memory issue and my game would most likely run a lot better after being able to utilize all the memory that's actually there.

I read the specs on my current dual core processor and it says "Yes" next to 64 bit Supported.

Aright... I did a lot of thinking and researching, and I decided it's time for a new build... So I came up with this:

1TB HDD:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Asus 790X mobo:
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

G.Skill 2 x 2GB ram sticks:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0 GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad Core:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

And Windows 7. The HDD is for Windows 7. I'm going to reformat my current XP HDD and use that as a back-up.

How do I make sure that the new mobo will work in my current case? It looks like it will, but I just want to be sure. My case:
Newegg.com - Rosewill R604-P BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case,with mesh air filters,adjustable vents & Tool-Free kits

What do you guys think? Thanks!

That case fits ATX and Micro ATX Boards. the board youve listed is ATX, so It'll work.

Well I was carrying my tower outside yesterday and stupid me forgot to hold onto the side of the case and it slipped off and fell down the stairs. Normally, it wouldn't be a big deal, but the side that fell off unfortunately had a fan on it so the wire tore off at the connection on the fan end :(. So I figured while I'm at it, upgrade fans.

Is there any way to find out how much RPM or CFM my current fans run? I have 2x 120mm x 120mm x 25mm that came with the case. And I bought an 80mm one from a local store shortly after buying the case back in late 09. Also, how do I know if/when I'm maxing out my PSU? I don't want to buy all these fans and start using a lot of power. Right now as I type, I have 3 accessory fans. I was looking to have 5 total. But, I would upgrade 2 of the 3 I have now.

This would replace my rear and front fans with the following:
Newegg.com - Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan

This would take place of the busted one:
Newegg.com - Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan

Now, this is the side of the case:

What is that cone thing supposed to do? I would assume to cover over the CPU to have more direct air flow to the fan to help cool it more efficiently? Well anyways, can I take that cone thing off and replace it with a fan? I don't see why it wouldn't be more efficient to just have a fan there and help push more air into the case.

I thought I would get this for that cone spot:
Newegg.com - MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm Case Fan

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom