Laptop Hunting with $1500-$1800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Jefferson

Beta member
Alright, I have been looking for a laptop for about a month now. Before Christmas, I was actually able to find some that were really close to my criteria. Now I am finding that they are getting harder to come by: not sure if it's because everyone sold out of their stock during/after-Christmas or what. Anyway, I am still looking and I want to get opinions, suggestions, recommendations, etc. on how this laptop will perform, what I can do different, what I can remove that is not "necessary", where I can find a computer that fits this criteria, etc.

1. Screen Size: 14-15.6"
  2. Resolution: Full HD (1920x1080)
  3. Processor: Intel Core i7-640M
  4. Motherboard: ???
  5. RAM: 8GB
  6. Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB DDR5 VRAM
  7. HD: 500GB+ 7200RPM
  8. Optical Drive: Blu-Ray/DVD Player (Blu-Ray burner optional)
  9. Keyboard: Spaced-out keys
    vaio_tz_kb_view3.jpg
  10. Battery: I'd prefer to have a high capacity battery that doesn't extend outside of the case.
  11. OS: Windows 7 Pro (64-bit)
  12. Other: I want a laptop that looks... "sexy"? Something similar to a Vaio, Macbook Pro... something simple but elegant.

This is essentially what I am looking for. The reason I chose this processor is because it seems to be the fastest I could find (3.46Ghz with turbo) and it's one of the i7-series. I could probably settle with the i5-580M since it is close in speed to the i7-640M, but I just want to get the best possible things. As far as the motherboard, I don't really know what to look for with these, so I am just leaving it up to whatever they decide to put in the computer. Most don't actually allow you to choose anyway. For the video card, I want the NVIDIA but most only offer ATI Mobile Radeon 5650, which I guess I could settle with? Not sure how major the difference is (could someone let me know?) I know CyberPowerPC is one of the only companies offering the NVIDIA card (that I recall). I would love love love a 1TB (7200RPM) drive, but 500GB is definitely fine. I could also settle with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Unfortunately, I can not find a computer that fits all these things. There seems to always be one thing missing each time I try to build one. I've gone through Sony, Lenovo, ASUS, Dell/Alienware, Toshiba, Acer, and HP.

Sony quit making full HD screens. Lenovo seems to mix high-end gear with low-end gear. ASUS doesn't provide a way to customize a laptop. Dells only have 720p screens and Alienware's "futuristic"-looking laptops look dumb, imo. Toshiba doesn't offer everything I need. Acer doesn't provide a customization option. HP was pretty close but in the end it just did not work out either. The closest I got to getting what I wanted was CyberPowerPC, but it seems like everyone used their Christmas money to buy out their stock, plus... most of their laptops are just ugly. I am not even sure if they will have what I want or when they're getting their stock back.

So I am coming to you guys to figure out what I should do? Should I tone down my criteria? Does my criteria match my price range (too high, too low)? Like I said, tips, comments, recommendations, opinions, ANYTHING. Thank you so much! :thumbsup:

You will either have to custom build this machine through one of the manufacturers or tone down your criteria. For what your looking for, your price range is to low. That type of laptop will cost you much more than $1,500-$1,800. Your talking easily $2,200 for that monster of a machine.

Why must you have that big of a laptop? I mean what are you possibly going to be doing with this thing that you require top end everything? Are you looking to play Crysis with full effects or what?

I'm essentially looking for a laptop that will last years to come... essentially throughout college and even when I get out into the real world. I want to be able to play high-end games and run them beautifully, watch Blu-rays, and do all my schoolwork but also have portability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom