Question about my CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario Eats BK

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I was looking through pages and and other CPU and I noticed that there are Duo core CPUs and they go over 2.8 Ghz and I have the 1055t six core processor and it comes at 2.8 Ghz.

So my question is that why does duo core processors go about the same speed as my six core processor.

Thanks ;)

The clock speed of a processor is applicable to each core. So for you, you have 6 cores that are each at about 2.8, while the Core 2 Duo has only 2 cores that are clocked at 2.8. Just because you have more core's doesn't mean your cores are clocked faster it just means you have the abiity to run more threads at that speed through more cores making your computational ability faster.

For contrast I only have 4 cores but they are clocked at 3.68. While one of my cores are faster than one of yours you can run more threads at once than I can.

Clock speeds are basically irrelevant anymore now that the GHz wars are over. We were so indoctrinated by all that crap back in the day that we still look at them and try to compare different CPU generations by the GHz number, but that's like comparing a four cylinder Pinto with a four cylinder ricer drag car; both have four cylinders but one will romp the other.

Until you learn how the CPU speeds stack up with one another you would do well to search for benchmarks that compare different CPUs, or ask around here.

We were so indoctrinated by all that crap back in the day that we still look at them and try to compare different CPU generations by the GHz number, but that's like comparing a four cylinder Pinto with a four cylinder ricer drag car; both have four cylinders but one will romp the other.

You're so getting quoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom