A Few Temp Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckop11

In Runtime
Hey guys got my new rig up n running. just wanted to ask some questions about temps. I know i am fine right now. but if i want to push a higher OC i want to know what safe temps are. and what other stuff should be around temp wise.

- Whats a safe Load temp for a am3 Phenom II x 4?

- Also how close is the Motherboards CPU diode to the Actual temp of the Chip?

- Around what temp do you want your HDDs? lol i just wanna know..

- Whats a safe load temp for a HD4850?

Thanks!!!

Heres where they are at now. - Not under load -. Just Installing Cataclysm

23li7ex.png

2ew2jbn.jpg

What are the temps of your CPU cores? You have that closed in HWMonitor.

First you need to know what your load temps are. Run Linx for your CPU. Run FurMark for your GPU. Give each, one at a time, a 10-20 minute run, watch your temperatures. CPU should not go over 80C. GPU, not over 90C.

Basically, at idle, both your CPU and GPU should be around 50C. Cooler the better. Different chips have different variables, but this temp is average.

The sensors are right above the chips, IIRC.

HDD temps should be around 40C. Truly, HDDs don't care about temps.

I closed it because they are all zeros. Idk why, i think it may be because its an OEM chip? But honestly idk.

I been using Prime95 for my cpu load. is linx much better/different?
My Load temps are around 50c - 52c (according to the MB cpu Diode) while running prime95. small ffts 4 tortue threads. for only an hour tho.

And i just use FAH for my GPU load.

Thanks MoM, I figured thats about what they were. But it feels good to know for sure.

And if anyone knows why they Core temps come up as 0. let me know. its not a big deal at all. but im JW.

The core temps I would blame on the OEM part.

With your temps you might be able to get to 3.6 or even higher. I was around the same area for temps and core clock and got to where I am with only 3c increase.

Tried the core temp. its still zeros. Its not a big deal because im not planning on doing any intense OCing. But thanks anyways.

I'm sure i can get to 3.5 with not much work. But I'm content with my 3.3GHz. And i can always go for higher on some rainy day where i have nothing better to do. =P

It is true that a lot of the time, running CPU-Z and HWMonitor, or any other program of that nature tends to cause issues, and at times, false readings.

Tried the core temp. its still zeros. Its not a big deal because im not planning on doing any intense OCing. But thanks anyways.

I'm sure i can get to 3.5 with not much work. But I'm content with my 3.3GHz. And i can always go for higher on some rainy day where i have nothing better to do. =P
You might want to look into alternative ways of detecting temps. Overclocking without knowing temps is as risky as volt modding without knowing the voltage. (without a voltage meter)
I've never done it but I know people who stick a super thin thermometer in between the thermal paste and the cpu.

Oh but if you keep it on stock voltage when you are OC'ing then there shouldn't be an issue at all. Maybe thats what your already planning on doing :p

Every modern cpu has the sensors for temperature monitoring, engineering samples, OEM or Retail.

I like to use a couple different monitoring programs for different reasons. However, I've found that if you start a monitoring program like HWMonitor 1st, it goes through and assigns each sensor with a value/identifier (< lack of the proper term). Now it's not reporting all of your hardware correctly, like 0 degree cores, but it is reporting other values correctly so you leave it running. Now you try a different monitoring program for your cpu core temperatures but it also reports them wrong. This is because the 1st program (HWMonitor) has already assigned the sensor an incorrect value and it's still in use.

You need to close any/all monitoring program that may be running and make sure there closed and not just minimized and hidden in the taskbar/notification area. Then try a program like CoreTemp or RealTemp one at a time until you find one that works.

Or you should have a utility like Asus Probe on the cd that came with your motherboard or it looks like Asus has a new utility called Asus PC Diagnostics V. 1.10 that may work, ASUSTeK Computer Inc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom