mjc928

Beta member
I'm not exactly sure if I'm committed to it. This is what I have so far:
*ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
*SAPPHIRE 100311SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
*CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W
*AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Thuban 3.3GHz
*G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
*Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB (quanity 2)
*LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Writer
As as far as cases go I really haven't decided yet. I saw the mountain mod u2-ufo and like that I can have my mobo horizontal. I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with air cooling.
Now here's my dilemma. I don't do online gaming with the exception of cs:source and once in awhile sc2. I mainly play games like dragon age. The problem that I'm having with games like these is that my current system is having a bit of trouble playing them a higher detail. I've had this system for almost nine years. I want to build for longevity. I dont want to think about building another system for another 7-10 years. I would say my budget is between $1500-$2000. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!

You are going top-notch up until you hit a 500GB Barracuda. Even in RAID0... why??? Grab something that will go along with the other power parts you have, like an OCZ RevoDrive (pop it into one of the PCI-E x16 slots). With a read of up to 740MB/s and a write of up to 690MB/s it scorches everything else. Use it for your OS drive and your main programs/games only.
Newegg.com - OCZ RevoDrive X2 OCZSSDPX-1RVDX0100 PCI-E 100GB PCI-Express x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

For storage, go with the WD Black line. Faster than the Seagates and the WD Blacks have a five year warranty whereas Seagate has dropped theirs to a three year.

The Crosshair IV Formula (should that be the Extreme, or just the regular Formula?) may run 1333 natively, but please don't hamstring the board with it. Go for at least 1600. The Extreme runs 1600 natively, BTW.

With a budget of up to $2K you could build an i7 rig. I will leave that up to those who are more into Intel, though.

Oops I meant the extreme lol! Thanks for the recommendation on the harddrives. Not sure what I was thinking there. I really thought about building an i7 machine but I perfer amd. I figure I can get a six core without having to spend so much. Now are there other mobos I should consider aside from the extreme? It seemed that it was one of the best to me...

What do you think about the Corsair Hydro Series H70 CPU Water Cooling Kit or the Prolimatech Super Mega? I don't plan to do any overclocking...

Great review. It does bring something to my attenion though. If I decide to go with a cpu cooler that's not too bulky then I might get a full tower but I'm worried about my gpu bowing my mobo. I like the Mountain Mods cases but they might be a bit out of my price range. Would I have to worry about long term damage that my mobo might take with such a heavy gpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom