Building PC problems, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainCrunch

Beta member
Hey guys. I'm having a pretty hard time with my computer. I've installed a few things into it over the last few years and this year was finally my big year to completely customize it and finish my work with it. I'm working with:

-----------------------------------------------
Case - Cooler Master RC-932-KWN3 HAF 932 Black Edition AT
Motherboard - Biostar TA890FXE
CPU - AMD Phenom II Black Edition Multi-Core Processor
Graphics Card - ATI Radeon HD 4870
Power Source - Thermaltake Toughpower XT 650W
Hard Drives - 2 (Western Digital 40GB & Seagate 500GB) The WD uses 4-pin & Ribbon, the Seagate uses SATA.
RAM - I have 2 pieces of RAM, they're SLI 4GB in total.
-----------------------------------------------

I have the motherboard properly grounded and every screw place is filled in. The next step I did was hooking in the front connections (power, reset, etc.). I have to say, the manual for this motherboard wasn't exactly great. I'll admit it's my first time putting in a motherboard, but I was careful to follow instructions from people who have being as I work in the tech field. The last motherboard I had was REALLY outdated for the type of gaming computer I'm trying to develop, so this motherboard has more than a few capabilities that are just mind boggling to me. When the power source, Graphics Card, RAM, and CPU & Heatsink were plugged in and all cables hooked in properly, I turned it on.

Lights flashed for probably .5 seconds and then it would go off. The top fan and the power source fan would spin. I looked back at the motherboard manual for a while for anything helpful on the situation. I discovered something in there that mentioned jumpers. I did what most techs do when they're looking at something new...I experimented. I'll post exactly what the manual stated because it will probably make sense to all of you reading this:

Code:
[B]JUSBV1/JUSBV2: Power Source Headers for USB Ports[/B]
[I]Port 1-2 Close:[/I]
JUSBV1: +5V for USB ports at USB1/USB_1394_ESATA1/RJ45USB1.
JUSBV2: +5V for USB ports at F_USB1/F_USB2/F_USB3.
[I]Pin 2-3 Close:[/I]
JUSBV1: +5V STB for USB ports at USB1/USB_1394_ESATA1/RJ45USB1.
JUSBV2: +5V STB for USB ports at F_USB1/F_USB2/F_USB3.

So I changed JUSBV1 from 1-2 closed to 2-3 closed. Lo and behold, I plugged the power back in and clicked the power button~BAM. Computer powered on nicely and all fans were spinning. The little BIOS POST CODE/CPU Temp. indicator lit up and read "d4". I looked up d4 in the book and nothing. If I looked online, I believe other motherboards would have different codes for all sorts of things, but one motherboards d4 meant some type of malfunction. I powered it off for a while, came back later and turned it on again this time to see a different code (I forget, but this code was still not listed in book). I clicked the reset button on the motherboard and now it's code has been staying at "60" or "b0" I guess. In the book 60 means it's initializing NUM-LOCK status. b0 isn't even in the book.

I ran out and got a different keyboard, something more standard, because mine wasn't working or even lighting up. I know my keyboard has drivers to be installed with it (Lycosa Razer keyboard). The mouse is a gaming mouse as well, didn't light up. The screen is blank. No BIOs, nothing. No beeps. I plugged the new keyboard in and mashed "delete" hoping the BIOs screen would pop up eventually, but it never did. Oddly enough, this is when I realized the heatsink fan wasn't moving and the fan on the side isn't moving as well. I unplugged the fan from the bottom of the motherboard (SYS_FAN1), and plugged it into SYS_FAN2 near the top. It worked. I was concerned about my CPU since I hadn't noticed the heatsink not working and I took it off right away. It was hot, but not scorching. The fan right above the CPU and the other side had been working so I'm hoping it provided some type of ventilation for it. Now I'm nervous to turn it on more than 5 seconds because obviously the CPU works, I don't want to overheat it.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? I can post as much info as you need, I just want to get this together. Please help!

Regarding your keyboard and mouse, I would hazard a guess that the mobo is not set for using USB version by default. You will have to use a PS2 version of each until you set the BIOS for it. Your mobo has PS2 ports for both, BTW.

i don't see a speaker on the mobo. Does your case have a built-in speaker for giving BIOS beeps?

I totally forgot those existed for a while, so used to using USB keyboards/mouses. Thanks, I'll try those. As for the speakers, the only cord the case had was HD Audio. HD Audio also had another cord on it labeled "AC'97", which the manual stated is not supported on this specific motherboard. Aside from those two problems, my main concern is why the heatsink and side fan that were both working before I stepped out to go to staples, aren't working now. The cords are all plugged in, I unplugged and replugged a few, but it's extremely frustrating since I know no one has touched this in the 30 minute interval where I went shopping and came back.

No, I mean a motherboard speaker. The headers are with the front panel headers. If your case doesn't have one (few do), you would want something like this one.

Oh I have that piece. I actually had no idea if I was supposed to plug it in or not, I thought the HD Audio would take care of it because the manual never even got into that. I'll go ahead and plug that in then.

EDIT: Okay so CPU and side fan still not spinning, computer beeps non stop when turned on.
EDIT2: I removed one RAM and the CPU fan started spinning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom