Post failure on newly built computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

xfootballer814

Solid State Member
Hey all i'm having some trouble. i got the whole computer put together and all but when i turn it on the fans work, the motherboard lights up along with some led lights on the front of it and the keyboard flashes briefly. However the monitor keeps telling me that it has no signal and i have no idea why?? I unplugged the ram except for one stick along with the harddrive, cd drive and usb ports and tried turning it on but got the same result. I also removed the battery and tried draining the capacitor, checked the cpu to see if it was installed right, saw that the motherboard was installed properly along with all the power cords being plugged in. The only thing i can think of is the ram maybe not being compatible becasue the exact product number isn't listed in the motherboard manual but i don' think that is it because the manual say .....2GB.....and my ram is .....4GB.....but is really 2 2 GB sticks. Also i don't hear any beaps when i plug my headphones into it....so i'm stumped can anyone help me?
Here's what my parts are
ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

You won't hear a beep out of your headphones. The beep will come from the little motherboard speaker, if it has one, most cheaper/economical mobo's require you to buy one separately.

Are you using a video card or on-board video? Make sure your Monitor is plugged into the correct port.

Thanks for the reply. I'm using an on board video card and i guess the motherboard doesn't have an onboard speaker. I have the monitor plugged into the only VGA port on the motherboard so i don't think thats the problem. Any other suggestions as to what i should do?

Do you have the 4-pin motherboard power connector plugged in?

Looking at the manual for your motherboard it says you have a feature called MemOK! on page 2-21. Is the light next to the MemOK! switch lit continuously? The manual says to press and hold the switch in until the lite flashes to enable Automatic Memory Compatibility Tuning.

yeah the light isn't on until i press the mem ok buttoun and then it blinks non stop so i guess the memory isn't the problem. And by 4 pin motherboard connector do you mean the one that attaches from the power supply? I have that one plugged in yeah. Do you think i somehow managed to fry the motherboard or ruin the cpu even though i took all possible anti static measures?

Take the cpu out and check it for bent pins or any type of containiment (dust, hair, excess thermal paste, etc...), also check the socket. Are you sure the Monitor is good? Can you try a different one.

It's a pain but something may be grounding out part of the circuitry. Try putting the computer together out of the case, on a table not the carpet.

There are two pins on the cpu that are bent at a 45 degree angle and not facing downwards. It was like this when i pulled it out of the box though so i didn't think anything of it. Is this the source of my problems?

Did the cpu easily slide back into the socket? They may have bent again. It can be hard to get them just right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom