Cannot boot from CDrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilchris357

Solid State Member
I have an old Dell Dimension 5500 desktop. I have been trying to reformat the HD and install a fresh OS. I went through the steps and got to the reformat stage. Once the HD was reformatted and it started w/ the install. I got an error message saying, "install could not be complete. So, I thought maybe the disc was corrupted and tried the Original OS disc that came w/ the computer. Now when I start the the computer and have it boot from the CD/DVD rom an error message comes up and says "error reading disc" and freezes up. I put the disc in another computer and it works fine. SO I thought maybe the CD rom drive was bad, used an external CD rom and still get the same error message.

ANy ideas?

The computer doesn't like CDs? :lol:

Try resetting BIOS, see if anything changes.
I tried resetting the bios? Nothing is changing. Can I replace the HD? I looked up the original one that is came w/ the unit. Not sure what I can replace it w/. What would some suggestions for a replacement HD?

WD FTW!!! What capacity HDD do you need??

What is FTW???? Anything that is compatible. I am new to this computer thing (replacing and upgrading parts.) I wasn't sure if I could go out and just pick up a new hard drive and pop it in and it would work. I wanted to make sure that it would be compatible w/ the type of desktop that i have, since its so old.
The one that is in now is a Maxtor 6L040J2 and it has long been discontinued. So I was wondering if I had to go w/ that type. I'm sure there is a suitable replacement. Just not sure which one.

That Hard Drive is a "IDE" hard drive so you'll need to buy another "IDE" hard drive. It doesn't have to be a Maxtor though, any manufacturer should do. How much can you spend?

That Hard Drive is a "IDE" hard drive so you'll need to buy another "IDE" hard drive. It doesn't have to be a Maxtor though, any manufacturer should do. How much can you spend?

What is IDE? Just for future knowledge. I can spend up to $100. Before I go out and buy another one though, is there any troubleshooting steps I can take to make sure the HD has crapped out?

FTW= For The Win

IDE is the interface of your HDD. The newest technology is SATA.

You can run diagnostics from a CD, provided with your HDD's manufacturer.

FTW= For The Win

IDE is the interface of your HDD. The newest technology is SATA.

I am sure all of the HDD that are available now is using SATA,correct? Can I use those and if so, I am guessing that I will have to change out cables.

You can run diagnostics from a CD, provided with your HDD's manufacturer.

That's my issue. I can't get anything to boot from any of the optical drives. I can hear them spin up but then nothing. So I wait and then the error screen comes up saying "error loading OS", That is why I made the comment earlier about T/S the HDD.
I even tried using a External optical drive and the same thing happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom