Mid build HUGE problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract Hero

Hyper Techie
Ok,

I just spent all last night building mine and my brother's machines. His worked perfectly so my luck ran out. I got mine up and running it posts and everything but I can not load an OS

BSOD

0x000000a5 - Bios is not fully ACPI compliant.

I do have the latest bios but is it possible there was an error so now this is happening? I'm going to try to flash it again but is there anything else I could do?

the board is a Foxconn A78AX-S and the CPU is a Phenom 955 BE.

Yes I've reset the BIOS and checked all ACPI related settings and fiddled with a few more.

Well, taking one stick of ram out like the second link lead me to believe has worked and got me further down the rabbit hole. I've gotten the boot disk to load so far but clearly this is an unacceptable way to run with only 2gb so I also need a workaround to this issue in the OS which I think is possible?

EDIT: FROM MICROSOFT: What does this mean?

RESOLUTION

To resolve this behavior, contact the manufacturer of your computer to obtain a BIOS that is fully ACPI compliant.

To work around this behavior, manually install the Standard PC hardware abstraction layer (HAL): 1. Restart the computer to restart Setup. 2. When Setup starts again, press F7 (not F6) when you see the "Press F6 if you need to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver" screen. Windows automatically disables the installation of the ACPI HAL and installs the Standard PC HAL.

I'm not really that knowledgeable in that area.

I've never seen a "bad" flash in which the system would still post. But I have seen bios updates that fixed one issue and in turn caused a different issue.

I would try a slightly older bios that still has support for your cpu.

Ok I think that's what I'll do.

The fix I found would cripple me to a single core an we don't want that now do we.....

This really sucks because I can now boot fine but 2gb ain't gonna cut it.

EDIT:
No go. :( I went back an update and I have the same problem.

I'm wondering if an RMA is in order.

Update: 2 sticks = 3gb works but 2 sets of 2x4gb did not work under any circumstance. I emailed Foxconn to see if there was an exact BIOS update that could solve this while keeping compatibility, so I shall see.

Any other ideas?

Double post, sorry. :facepalm: I'm running on 2 hours of sleep.

Can you check your CPU in your brother's build (swap it out)? My original 965 had a bad memory controller and had to be RMA'd.

His is a 775. We got a E2160 handed to us so he wanted to build from it and it was cheap.

I have no AM3 board at my disposal. Any other way I can test this?

EDIT: Could I stick one of my Athlons in and if they work fine would it be a safe assumption it's the CPU?

Same code. No go.

SOLVED:

So I got really tired of attempting to contact Foxconn's so called "tech support" so, I decided I will fix this or mail them there motherboard sawed in half.

Well I tried 2 things.
1. The memory ganged.
2. RAID and AHCI configurations.

It was the latter. In the standard native IDE configuration the bios was having trouble running a 64bit windows in all its more than 4gb glory. I first set it in AHCI and than I heard the recommended is RAID. It runs perfectly in both.

I really hope that this helps someone down the road because this was a month long headache that really kicked me while I was down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom