First time PC builder needs help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjr92

Solid State Member
I have about a grand to build a gaming pc and this is what I have put together,
Please tell me if anything is incompatible or have any constructive criticism
CPU:Intel Core i7 870 Processor BX80605I7870 - 2.93GHz, LGA 1156, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core

Video:MSI R5770 HAWK Radeon HD 5770 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, DVI, Display Port, HDMI

Power supply&case: NZXT Tempest ATX Mid-Tower Case & Diablotek PHD 650W ATX Power Supply

RAM:Corsair XMS3 CMX6GX3M3A1333C9 Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory - 1333MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048)

MOBO:Intel DP55WG Motherboard - Intel P55, Socket LGA1156, 8 Channel Audio, SATA

Sound:StarTech 5 Channel PCI Sound Adapter Card - AC97 3D Audio Effects

And My hard drive issss :Seagate ST31000520AS Barracuda LP Hard Drive - 1TB, 5900rpm, 32MB, SATA-3G

Lemme know what you think and if I should add/remove/ or if anything is incompatible.
I'm mostly worried about the availibilty of PCI slots and if all my ram/video card will fit

THANKS!:lol:

Scratch the Diablotek PSU. Either grab a Corsair, Antec, or OCZ.

Go with DDR3 1600 (PC 12800) RAM, not 1333. Corsair is a good brand, as is G.Skill and Crucial.

Drop the Intel board and get an ASUS Sabertooth.

Onboard sound is usually plenty good enough, but if you are going to go with a sound card at least go with something worth the time and effort. This ASUS card is as low as I would go, period.

A 5900RPM drive? ::shudder:: Sorry, mate, but no. Go with a WD Black drive for both speed and a five year warranty. Here's a noce combo with that drive and a Sabertooth board:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

If the intel board is LG1156 and I switch to an 1366 socket would I need to change my CPU as well?

Scratch the Diablotek PSU. Either grab a Corsair, Antec, or OCZ.

Go with DDR3 1600 (PC 12800) RAM, not 1333. Corsair is a good brand, as is G.Skill and Crucial.

Drop the Intel board and get an ASUS Sabertooth.

Onboard sound is usually plenty good enough, but if you are going to go with a sound card at least go with something worth the time and effort. This ASUS card is as low as I would go, period.

A 5900RPM drive? ::shudder:: Sorry, mate, but no. Go with a WD Black drive for both speed and a five year warranty. Here's a noce combo with that drive and a Sabertooth board:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

If the intel board is LG1156 and I switch to an 1366 socket would I need to change my CPU as well?

Oops. Yes, you would. I saw i7 and didn't look at the model number. At least the 950 is only $20 more than the 870.

Oops. Yes, you would. I saw i7 and didn't look at the model number. At least the 950 is only $20 more than the 870.

Thank you, And do you think the graphics card im considering will suffice for my gaming purposes? I plan on playing mmo's/FPS's

I was also considering EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

So the 470 would be compatible with the mobo?
I ask because I'm trying to either get all my parts from newegg or tigerdirect so i dont have to pay two seperate shipping prices and newegg doesnt carry the 5770

Yes, it is compatible. Any PCI-E x16 card (whatever version of PCI-E) will work in any board that has a PCI-E x16 slot (whatever version, and even if the slot is x8 for whatever reason).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom