Default hompage for all users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Win2kpatcher

Fully Optimized
Hello! How would I go about setting a default home page for every user who logs onto the machine? It would be in a Domain Controller env, and a client PC. Basically I would like it so when say charlie logs on and launches IE it goes to www.yahoo.com and then down the road when beth logs on and launches IE it goes to www.yahoo.com rather than www.msn.com or whatever...

Now yes you could simply go and set the default home page for each user once logged on, but not in my case. In my case we have a GPO set for the users that prohibits them from setting a home page, accessing internet options, run command, regedit, and basically anything you would need to be able to set a home page. So there has to be a way???

it's done in group policy. If you are useing GPO's already to control the IE function then, you only need to add the following to it...
in group policy editor, GPEDIT.msc, you modify the following entry...User configuration, windows settings, internet explorer maintenance, URLs, Important URLs. Check the box for customize homepage, and then enter the homepage you want to use.

Then update the GPO with these settings and apply it to the domain...
Good luck

Ok I'll give that a shot! thanks! Does the gpedit differ on the server version of windows? I tried looking for that path locally on my machine (since I'm not at that job right now) and couldnt locate it.... via gpedit.msc Is there a way to do this on the local machine rather than a policy? hacking the registry or local policy or something of the like? thanks!

there are registry hacks yes. Buy if you are working in an AD environment, why do that? the GPO's work so much better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom