Dieing Videocard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ropponmatsu

Baseband Member
I've been running the same set-up for over a year now and I'm starting to have some serious problems. I was already planing to upgrade with a new system next month but I may have to do it sooner if I can't solve my present problems.

I'm running an Nvidia GeForce FX5600, AMD XP 2.0ghz. 512mb PC133 RAM. Starting around last month I started getting video memory dumps like crazy. I'd be playing one of my favorite games when out of nowhere a blue screen would come up telling me my device drivers got stuck in an infinite loop so it flushed the memory and rebooted my PC without even being kind enough to ask me, let alone leave the screen up long enough for me to read it.

I lived with it for several days until it annoyed me enough that I finally formatted which I desperately needed. After getting back up and running I found that my problems were solved and I was happy. But then one day I decided to hop on a game and just as soon as I loaded it up my whole computer locked and I got the ill-fated blue screen again. So now everytime I got to play anything graphical several minutes after I get it gonig the same thing happens. If I try and watch video's, several minutes afterwards the entire video footage will turn green.

If reformatting doesn't fix the problems and I've used about 7 different versions of the nForce drivers. It must be a hardware problem, mainly m videocard. I'm quite sure its the card so I'm intent on replacing it next week with a GeForce 6800 GT or Radeon X800/700 Pro. Could I be wrong about it entirely being the videocard, could something be wrong with my AGP slots or any other compenent on the MOBO?

Little help would be appreciated...

I sure wish I could return it if it wasn't 2 years old. It at least gives me a good excuse to go out and spend several hundred on a new card so I can finally play Doom 3 higher than 20 fps!

Several hundreds??? Grief i wouldnt just buy a cheep ati radeon 9200. Less than 100. Well here in the uk its less than 40 quid, plays doom 3 fine.

When the display drivers are stuck in the infinite loop, there has been an error in the communication between the video card and the AGP controller.

In most cases this problem can be solved by installing the drivers for the AGP controller that were provided by the operating system. This can be done through Device Manager.

ATi distributes an application called VPU Recover, which will reset the GPU when the infinite loop occurs. But considering that you have an nVidia based card, I would recommend taking a look at this.

It at least gives me a good excuse to go out and spend several hundred on a new card so I can finally play Doom 3 higher than 20 fps!
That statement just disgusts me....

I sure wish I could return it if it wasn't 2 years old
Hell man some companies offer a 3 year warrenty so lol you might still be eligable :D

I checked Device Manager and couldn't find "AGP Controller" under anything: sound, video, and and game controllers being the first one I checked. I checked there locations and they were either on a PCI bus or Unknown. And for some reason it's saying my video card is on the PCI bus 1 where as I have it in AGP slot 1 and nothing in PCI slot 1?!?!

Is this normal?

If it's a problem with my AGP controller then I'll just get a PCI card since the hardware is heading in that direction already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom