Fan placement and Passive Chipset Heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
This Antec P180 Mini case hosts my home server, ITX Atom board, 1GB DDR2, 2 x 640GB HDDs, 20GB HDD (system)

casey.png.jpg

As you can see in this picture, it has a 120mm back fan, and 200mm top fan. These are both going out, as intended. But there is no front fan. So it's not really pushing the air, it's just sucking it out. Would it be bringing in cool air? It has no placement for a front fan. Should I flip the top one, perhaps?

IMG_0865.JPG

This is the heatsink that is sitting on my Northbridge. I took the fan out because I hate the buzzing, and it doesn't really coll efficiently. I heard passive heatsinks were better for this task. The problem is, mine has a bar that attaches to the clip on the board, not 2 holes.
I read this: Custom Mount for the Passive Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Heatsink | Overclockers
It looks like I could just use the same bar again. Would that heatsink work? Found the same model at Newegg: Newegg.com - ZALMAN ZM-NB47J Aluminum Heatsinks only

Edit: Here's a pic of my case insides

IMG_0866.JPG

I figured as much. I would try using the old clip 1st. If the original clip doesn't work don't try to modify it (the clip) as you may need it and the original heatsink if all else fails. Or if you ever need to warranty the board.

If the original clip doesn't work I would try to make one as per the instructions in your link.

If you just can't make a good clip then I would try the Thermal Tape. You'd be surprised at what it will hold and it's only a couple of dollars. If you try the tape here are a few tips. Clean the chip and the base of the heatsink with alcohol and a soft lint-free cloth. let them dry. Cut out a piece of tape slightly larger than the chip. Peel the protective film off of one side of the tape and apply the tape to the center of the heatsink. Carefully peel the remaining protective cover off of the tape, but don't stick it to the chip yet. You need to get a blow dryer, borrow your wifes, moms or sisters. Slowly heat up the tape until the heatsink is hot (Don't get the blow dryer to close or you'll burn the tape). While the heatsink is hot carefully position the heatsink and stick it to the chip and press it on firmly (you don't want to fiddle around, do it right the 1st time). Let the heatsink cool off before you mess with it. Heat usually makes the tape stick better :thumbsup:

If you just can't stand it you can try to modify your clip but it could void your warranty.

If all else fails and you've decided your going to use the new heatsink and the warranty is of no concern then the Thermal Adhesive (aka Thermal Epoxy) will hold it on. But you won't take it off without pulling the chip with it.

Exact model: Intel D945GCLF2 Atom 330 ITX motherboard
I bought this in Oct. 2008
According to most places, it has a 36 month warranty.

I'll see what I can do with that, Slay. Need the h/s first :p
Just to see if the clip works

As for the front fan problem, looks like you might be stuck. You can retro fit a fan where the hdds are, but the problem is the hdds need to be there lol. Unfortunately not much you can do there IMO.
tbh though, I don't think you really need it. Such a small board, so little heat.

Would it help to flip the top fan, at all? Have fresh air blowing over the board? Not too worried about my HDDs, as I got them around the same time, and they've been in that case for the last 1.5 years. No problems.

Only thing to remember is heat rises. So you'd have air pushing down into the case, being heated, rising towards the top, then being pushed back down by the fan. Not optimal, especially if you don't have a strong rear exhaust fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom