First Build - Help Me Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maninblack

Beta member
Ok, here's the situation: we need a new computer bad. My wife says I should just order a Dell and be done with it, but I want to get more value. I've never built a computer, but I have watched several tutorials and it doesn't look too bad. I am somewhat computer literate and pretty mechanical. (I'm a refrigeration and commercial food equipment repair technician by trade.)

Here's the basic idea. I have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse that I will be reusing. I want an AMD processor because of budgeting concerns. I want an SLI or Crossfire capable motherboard and graphics card. I will get one card now and I want the ability to add another in the future. I really don't know what OS to get. My budget is 600-700. We will be using the machine for all sorts of things, but I want it to be able to run games pretty well. Thanks, I'm really going to take advantage of all of the knowledge and experience on this forum. I'm confident I will get a lot of bang for my buck. I may be interested in overclocking in the future, so keep that in mind when selecting a case for me.

Thanks again,
Mark

How is this for a start?

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDX945FBGIBOX $135.99

MSI NF980-G65 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
$159.99

Suggestions?

Hey maninblack!

Welcome to the forums!

I think with your background, while it is in a much different field, will give you the mechanical smarts to be able to build a computer fairly easily. There isn't really a whole lot to it these days. Just about everything is screwing and plugging things in. In a certain situations it will involve a bit more but for the majority of builds it is a lot easier than you think. The hardest part is connecting all the wires but once you actually see them all it just comes together in your head and is not too difficult at all.

Believe me if I could build a computer I think anyone can. And after a lot of troubleshooting I think I have a pretty nice little build.

Good luck on the build! You definitely get a lot more bang for your buck building it yourself. Don't be intimidated!

He doesn't have a $1000 budget, it's $600-700. I was just stating that for the price he's paying he would have to pay over a grand to get prebuilt.

Sorry bout the confusion. :thumbsup:

Abstract my bad then ;)

Well, my suggestion about the HDD still stands, both drives cost the same on newegg. Regarding the CPU I think it's worth it but it's his call.

Thanks for all of the responses. I will probably start on this after I file my tax return. I will make a new post for the actual build.

Prices and available parts, new models, etc..., will change by then. I would ask for some updated advise when the time to buy arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom