External HDD Not Recognized in USB 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riznarf

In Runtime
Hey all, recently purchased a new laptopt (Asus G53JW) and built myself an external HDD with a WD Caviar Black 1TB 6gb/s 7200rpm drive in a USB 3.0 enclosure. I connect it to my laptop with a USB 3.0 cable into my USB 3.0 port and...nothing. No recognition whatsoever.

However, when I plug it in to a USB 2.0 port, no problem. Also, when I plug other USB devices (such as my USB 2.0 mouse) it functions no problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled the USB 3.0 drivers so I'm not really sure what to do. Running Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Thanks

Pretty sure I did, is there a way to double check though? Also, the HDD doesnt show up in the control panel's Disk Manager. Could it be since I don't have the Windows 7 SP1 update?

Ok, thanks, getting the SP1 release candidate...I'll report back. Sidenote: just to make sure I have all my bases covered, how do I check to see if I have the chipset drivers installed?

No luck with the SP1 update... :-( Any other ideas of what it could be?

OK, so, I installed an updated version of the drivers, they seemed to stick this time. I got the Windows notification that the USB 3.0 port was installed properly and it all looks good in the Device manager, (both the controller and the hub) Yet....still no recognition of the external HDD. *sigh*

Wow, problem solved...........dont laugh, but it was a bad cable. Sorry for wasting your time, MindoverMaster and thanks for the help! (even though I'm an idiot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom