i7 950 or Sandy Bridge i7 2600k ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2IT

Baseband Member
I'm going to be building a new PC next month and originally I was going to go with an i7 950, but after reading about the new Sandy Bridge chips being released next month I'm thinking the 2600k might be a better option.

Both chips are priced relatively the same, (if the price leaks turn out to be true that is). The 950 looks like it should overclock to 3.8-4Ghz while the 2600k is reporting to overclock nicely anywhere from 4.5Ghz up to 4.9Ghz.

The upside is that Sata 3 will be supported natively, though I probably won't even use this for some time considering the hard drive I'll be swapping in isn't a Sata 3 drive anyway.

The downside is 1155 boards don't support triple channel memory - however I have no clue if this would really matter. Most of what I have read states that triple channel memory hasn't proven to be much of a boost to performance.

So which should I go for? I'm leaning towards the new SB chip because so far the only downside I can see is the lack of triple channel memory, but other than that it looks like it'll perform much better. Thoughts??

The 2600k will be unlocked and it should OC well beyond what a 950 is capable of. I know the i5 2500k can at least.

Triple channel memory is a boost in memory intensive applications or if your cool and use a RAM drive. Its not "real" performance for gaming or benchmarking.

we will just wait and have to see which turns out to be better. the 2600k is obviously gonna be more efficient 9acording to cnet).

Yes the K version is the unlocked version. Of the chips being released next month I believe there are only 2 that will be unlocked "k" models; the i7 2600k and the i5 2600k. I believe the i5 is basically the same as the i7 but without hyper threading and is supposed to be about $100 cheaper.

I know the smart thing to do would be to simply wait a little while after their release to see more reviews of its performance....but that will be hard to do lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom