RAM choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
I am looking to get at least 1 GB of RAM for a PC that really needs it. It is a Pentium 4 - 3.00 GHz and it only has 512 MB of RAM. I ran a Crucial meory needs test and it said the following:

# Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
# Available Memory Slots: 2
# Total Memory Slots: 4
# Dual Channel Support: Yes
# CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
# CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz Model 2, Stepping 9
# CPU Speed: 2992 MHz

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.

DDR memory with support for DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200 speeds.

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?
A: No.
Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

I will probably want 1 GB (more) at least maybe 2 if it isn't to expensive. I will probably leave the current 512 in unless that would create a problem.

Do you think I could leave the current RAM in there? If I go to 2 GB I probably wouldn't but I'm not sure how much I want to spend yet. This isn't my personal PC but the family one so I may be able to pass off a bit of the financial load.

Also I was just looking at some of the reviews and they said the voltage has to be 2.75 Volts. How would I check if this motherboard has that much?

Actually you could leave the 512 in and add 2gb since you have 4 slots capable of 4gb.

You should be fine with that ram as far as voltages but you can humor yourself by running CPU-Z and checking what you're running at right now.

Actually you could leave the 512 in and add 2gb since you have 4 slots capable of 4gb.

You should be fine with that ram as far as voltages but you can humor yourself by running CPU-Z and checking what you're running at right now.

Exactly. Your motherboard will run all the RAM at the speed of the slowest DIMM. If you have PC2700 and drop in PC3200 then the mobo will downclock the 3200 to 2700. If you currently have 2700 and want to buy 3200 I would suggest pulling the 2700 and only use the 3200 to get the speed bump.

Considering that you are running a P4 3.0GHz, I would save $10 and go with these:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory Model F1-3200PHU2-2GBNT

DDR runs on more volts than do DDR2 or DDR3. 2.75 would be more along the lines of an enthusiast board and may or may not work properly in yours. The set I linked to run on 2.6-2.75 and should work without any problems.

Also, unless you are running a 64-bit flavor of Windows you can't access more than 3.5GB of RAM (and that includes any memory on graphics card(s).

Well when I run CPU-ID I get "The error code 0x2 (2) occured during initialization", and then there is nothing in the SPD tab and only the size in the Memory tab. So I guess I won't check the voltages. If I get the 2 GB I'll probably just take the 512 out. It will be such a big jump I don't think we'll miss the .5 GB:thumbsup:! We are running XP so it's not 64-Bit.

Ok I didn't know there was 64-bit XP. Good to know. I just now opened up the PC and saw that there are 2 sets of slots. The current RAM arrangement is: Channel A 1. 256 MB, Channel A 2. empty, Channel B 1. 256 MB, Channel B 2. empty. If I would get one of these sets mentioned above should I put them both in one channels slot?

Also I was able to run Piriform Speccy and the voltages came back as 2.500 V. and they are PC 3200. Are these voltages ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom