optorite dvdr problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
Me again, yes, I've been posting problems a lot lately, so here's the new one.

My Optorite DVD RW DD0405 burner has always acted messed up, ever since it was newly installed since my computer was freshly put together. The problems: autoplaying discs only half the time, not detecting media at all a quarter of the time, while burning in Nero, it will stop at an undetermined time while burning and just plain stop and be unresponsive, I have to shut down the computer and restart just to be able to eject the thing.

There is no change in the media, sometimes it works, sometimes not. I use Maxell DVD-R discs and Memorex CD-Rs.

Autoplay is on.

I have just upgraded Nero and these problems have increased, I will try to install Nero again after a full install if suggested, but their server is sooooo sloooow for updates, takes 3 hours to get one single 24 meg update with my 3 meg cable ISP.

I also get these errors when reading data from DVD's and CD's that are data and have been checked and finalized by the same burner, the errors are along the lines of "data redundancy error".

I feel like taking my MadDog (NEC) combo drive out of my old AMD machine and using it, but the Optorite is newer. Which do you think is better, the NEC MadDog or the Optorite?

I have updated the firmware twice for the Optorite, but have only one DVD-R left, I might take trip tomorrow and get some more media so I can test the firmware upgrade.

Your drive is screwed, possible out of alignment. I can tell you write now your not going to be able to fix it yourself, get a new one or hopefully the one you have now has a warranty. Word of the wise, never get an off brand cd or dvd burner and try to stick with cd/dvd+r's not -.

I use -R because that's what my DVD player in my theater is compatable with. So, even though it works half the time, there's no way of fixing it?

I think I'll be putting the MadDog in my comp later if the Optorite continues this nonsense even after the firmware updates.

So, I bought some DVD+R media because it should be more reliable. I put it in the drive and it did not detect a disc, but when I ran some Nero tools, it found the disc. I burned 3.2gigs of data and then had it verify, that worked without slowing down a bit. I then opened and closed the tray with the disc still in it, XP found the disc and it's contents quickly. I ran Nero's DVD speed and access times tools, and the disc went through all the tests without a problem.

Why does it not detect blank discs?

Oh well, I'll try some other stuff, like burning a movie and see if it can handle that.

EDIT: I just retried the burn I was doing yeterday that failed, I just now burnt "SAW" to DVD+R video in 15 minutes and it played in my player fine. One of the firmware updates was for a media compatability issue, since the +R is the same brand as the -R, this update may have been the fix.

everybody with an Optorite, they usually have the same problem as you.

there is a saying in the computer world

"Don't buy Optorites"

Well, I gave my builder some vauge options. Basically, it was this.

Me: I need an ASUS board that has this this and this, a 6800 vid card or better, a harddrive that has at least 200 gigs, that case on the shelf over there (the raidmax), DVDR/CDR combo drive, and then I need it to do this this and this. (replace this this and this with whatever)

Builder: I'll research it and give you a call tomorrow with the specs.
Me: Aight, peace.

The next day....

Builder: I found an ASUS package with these components (lists hardware). And a 8x combo drive that will burn anything you want, and I'll have it for you for your price.
Me: Great!

The problem there was me only focusing on the mobo, video card and kewl looking case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom