Installing new OS on Fujitsu Lifebook B3020D

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifebookProbs

Solid State Member
I just got the aforementioned laptop from my mother, who used to use it for work. The laptop has 256mb RAM, 1.1 ghz Pentium, i think 40gb hdd. Anyway the installed os is windows me, and i want to put on windows xp, which i have a copy of. However, the laptop has no drives, only two usb ports. Can i use a usb flash drive to install windows on this laptop?
In bios, under the advanced tab/USB features, Legacy USB support is Enabled, and SCSI Subclass Support is enabled. I dont see an option to boot from a usb drive on the boot options menu, though.

Thanks, would really appreciate the help.

Well earlier i put a flash drive in and checked to see if it showed up on the boot list and it does, but how do i make the flash drive be able to install windows xp? I have and ISO image of the install disk, can i just put that file on the flash drive or do i have to do something more complicated? I once made a bootable SDcard, but it was awhile ago and was Ubuntu cant remember how i did it...maybe i used daemon tools to mount the image on the card, i cant remember... someone please help!

So, at this point i have decided to install Ubuntu. I tried three or four different ways of installing windows on the usb to install it on the laptop, but its not working. On the other hand i have successfuly made an ubuntu boot flash drive with ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron, and it works to boot from.
I cant find any of the system requirements for anything but the latest ubuntu. Does anyone know the system requirements for Ubuntu 8.04? If so do they exceed 256mb RAM? I need to know of an ubuntu or linux os that will suit my laptop.
It has a pentium M713 1.1 GHZ, 256MB Ram, and a 60gb HDD.
Please advise

System requirements for Hardy is:

300MHz x86 processor (700MHz x86 recommended)
64MB RAM (384MB)
4GB (8GB) disk space
VGA graphics card capable of 640x480 (1024x768) resolution
CD-ROM drive or network card
sound card and internet connection recommended

You're alright ;)

Google is indeed friendly, but he would not help much in this matter...
Anyhow i tried "try ubuntu without making any changes to your computer" it went past the loading screen and then all i got was empty color with a cursor, which moved jerkily....
Im gonna try again, but maybe i should go with a lighter os?
btw, what do you mean when you put 64MB(384) of ram? which do i really need? Im confused...
thanks for your help so far

Not sure about the Ubuntu problem. Try again, see if it happens again.

You need at least 64MB of RAM. You have 256MB, you have more that 64MB.

It's not 64-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom