Should I switch over to a gaming laptop? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

unsung

Baseband Member
Please excuse my grammar.

I am currently owning a custom gaming PC that I assembled last October. The PC is everything I would want in a gaming computer. It can run Crysis I think around 50FPS or more on MAX everything (with exception to AA, haven't tested in a while). Beside Crysis, every other game run smooth all on max setting. For example NBA 2k10 run around 95FPS and is simply gorgeous. With the decrease in computer gaming technology, I estimate that my computer can run any game on max for the next decade. Pretty much my computer is everything a gamer need or want, and is as good as some of the mid to high end Alienware.

However there has not been any new games that have spark my interested and as such the computer is just sitting there. PC only games are very rare nowadays so I know which less emphasis on PC technology, my computer (while not top of the line by any mean) can play any games for the next few years without any hiccup because I build it on the fact that it is everything I want and not having unnecessary technology that I don't need. It a beauty of a beast but with lack of games coming out, I feel like it a waste just to let it sit there.

With that said, I am thinking of selling it and buying a gaming laptop instead. Before I do this I need some feedback and suggestion from you guys. First off I am thinking of buying this laptop: Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Qosmio X505-Q892 NoteBook Intel Core i5 460M(2.53GHz) 18.4" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M

Also I'm not sure if the GTX 460M is better than the Ati Radeon HD 5850 or 5870?

I feel that with a laptop I am do everything I can with a PC and more. I don't actually have to sit in my room and instead I can take my laptop anywhere. I can still have fun while still be able to go outside more. A gaming laptop is such a portable device and even without many pc games coming out (I could be wrong) I tend to do things on a laptop that I don't bother with a PC mainly because I don't like to be inside or sitting in one spot for too long. Things such as watching movies, youtube, and other various things that I don't even bother with my PC.

The laptop above I listed is a little bigger than I want. I am looking for a 17inches laptop with a high end graphic card (good gaming laptop in general). However the con of this laptop is it overheat quickly, and I wonder if there is any fan I can buy for it?

Once again I know quite a few things about Gaming PC, but not much about laptop. What are the negative aspect of owning a laptop?

Thanks

P.S I can also list down my spec for my PC if anyone wants to know.

Please note that you will not be playing on max on a laptop. Their CPU and GPU are not as well cooled as a desktop. The least you could do it get a laptop cooling tray.

Toshiba is excellent for game play. They really pack a punch.

Well, while I am no expert and still fairly new to these forums- I think you will find that laptops cannot compete with desktop in gaming. It sounds like you are used to a pretty good desktop gaming experience and will notice that the gaming laptops cannot compete with a good desktop. I am sure there are exceptions, but generally I believe that the laptops are not able to control heat as well, mobile graphics are just that - "mobile" therefore, have there own category - for a reason. Same thing with the CPU. You just can't make a 4 cylinder engine get the same horse power as a 8 cylinder. That said - the newer laptops certainly do well ( your Toshiba - link provided is one of them) and will be able to game decently. Main differences= cannot change out or update a GPU or CPU in a laptop like you can in a desktop.

Please note that you will not be playing on max on a laptop. Their CPU and GPU are not as well cooled as a desktop. The least you could do it get a laptop cooling tray.

Toshiba is excellent for game play. They really pack a punch.

Would getting a laptop cooling tray do the job? I never had a gaming laptop so I'm not sure what it like. I know the experience can't be as good as my desktop (though the laptop graphic card is on par with my 5850) but it not significantly worst is it?

Also how long can I play a high intensive game on my laptop? I can pretty much play as long as I want on my PC due to the HAF 3 power fans.

Can you list the negative and positive of owning a gaming laptop versus a gaming pc desktop?

Also I worry that a gaming laptop will break down much faster and more easily and I would have wasted 1K plus down the drain if it break down after a year.

The cooling tray dissipates the heat, not directly cooling the CPU/GPU down.

I can not say how long you can play intensively. It depends on so many variables.

Yes, laptops are not very able to preform under stress like a desktop. All you need to know, in a laptop, your worse enemy is the heat, not necessarily the performance.

You cannot update the CPU or GPU in a laptop like you can in a desktop = biggest problem with laptops vs desktop. SO as you play the processor and the graphics are under more stress due to the heat ( see above) and then if they do become damaged - the whole laptop is useless, while if the GPU gets fried in the desktop you just go out and buy another GPU and switch them out. So a few hundred bucks in a new GPU vs $1300 for a new laptop.

You can update the CPU, actually. But what you could upgrade to doesn't give you a performance boost. But not the GPU 99.9% of the time.

More compact, can effect more parts.

Acerinpa

Yes I have a very good desktop pc. I don't plan on needing to change the GPU or CPU (don't care if outdated in a few year). The only problem I worry is if it break down on me. Like I said in my previous post, is that I feel PC games have come to a haul and with the current Intel I5, is more than enough for all future games. I also don't know how fragile laptop GPU or CPU is as I have had no problem with my desktop PC motherboard, etc…?

MindoverMaster

Would placing a large fan or playing it in a cool AC room help with the heat? Also I found this laptop (which supposedly has the best cooling), MSI GX640-098US Review

What do you guys think?

Also is the 5850 notebook graphic card the same as the desktop one (same one I own?) that would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks

Somewhat, yes, overall, no.

That doesn't look any more cooled than a standard laptop.

No. Laptop GFX cards can not be that powerful. The battery has to power the whole laptop. Plus, a humongous gfx card can't fit in a laptop...

If gaming is your thing, I would reccomend you stay with your desktop. Laptops are not made for hardcore gamers. Some laptops can, yes, but they are very expensive, like the 1500-2000 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom