Bad Harddrive; affected by virus??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim2010

Baseband Member
Hello anyone and everyone.

I have a Dell Studio from 2008 or so, have had errors telling me that I had a bad hdd. I looked into it with a support tech, he looked it over and seen no reason to show the hdd was damaged. He did take a look and run some tests remotely, and said that some viruses or adware can cause this type of error and that by removing the adware/virus it could clear up the problem.

I was already looking into upgrading to Windows 7, which with a clean install, could fix my virus problems, whereas the affected files will be blocked. I have had the W7 running for about 12 hours now and guess what? I just had my first bad hard disk error.

Are there any options to look into before I have someone look at it, or even replace the hard drive, ( can I still keep my W7 after getting a new hdd?), not sure what the possibilities in all of this are.

Your opinions are appreciated.

I only have the version on the computer, an upgrade, and am running avg. Thanks for the feedback. Im tryin a few things. Sounds like you say maybe a few bad sectors.Thnx

I ran some freeware from cnet, pctools registry checker, and uniblue registry booster. PCtools found 51 registry errors/problems 16 fixed free, and Uniblue found 41 errors/problems 6 fixed free.

Are registry problems the same as hdd errors, where as it can make my hdd say there are bad sectors?

Your feedback is appreciated, thanks

I ran some freeware from cnet, pctools registry checker, and uniblue registry booster. PCtools found 51 registry errors/problems 16 fixed free, and Uniblue found 41 errors/problems 6 fixed free.

Are registry problems the same as hdd errors, where as it can make my hdd say there are bad sectors?

Your feedback is appreciated, thanks

Registry Errors aren't the same has hard drive errors. I'd say the registry errors may be a result of the Windows upgrade you did whereas hard drive errors are an indication of a physical problem with the drive.

What brand of hard drive is your system running? On Windows 7 you can find out by going to Control Panel-> Device Manager->Disk Drives. If you post the Name/Model Number you see there we can suggest appropriate diagnostics software to rule out hard drive issues for sure.

I checked and this is what I found, beside device drivers that are needed; WDC WD2500BEVT-75ZCTA ATA. vERSION 6.1.7600.16385 (WIN7_rtm.090713-1255)

Is this all I need to know. Should I buy a registry cleaner? Do you have any favorites or good ones under $30? Anything else I can do. I did get the W7 installed, should I go through wil the walk through for file transfer and system optimization or wait to fix problems?

All help is appreciated, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom