(Wiring tricks??) How to avoid this:

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Yeah, I think I bought some of those white ones but never used it. I like the blade connector idea too for the smaller things. Helps clear up some space from the molex connector. Sometimes a mass of those can take up a lot of room.

I'd get my soldering iron, heat gun and some heatshrink out and rewire it to use fewer connectors

Also, if a device only needs 12V or 5V (such as a fan) you could always replace the molex connector with a fan connector (I did that to my MCP655 pump)

Manufactures could always come up with a way to transfer more power through a single molex, maybe a redesign, but half the problem is the ones in the center melting apart, there's a lot of resistance in that area due to all those connnections.

I like thermaltakes idea for a fan in the sidepanel of one of their cases. Theres no wire between the side panel and the case...only contacts for power. So maybe there could be a way for case designers to come up with power lanes for fans sorta like how a mobo works and you plug in a single molex connector to power all the fans.

You could run a custom block using normal u ends... Jfen did this:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/antec-1200-quad-gpu-folding-rig-205020/index8.html

Yeah, I've pretty much made this standard on most of my builds. There were so many fans on the 1200 that those molex connectors were everywhere really making a mess of the back panel. It's simple to set up, like patonb said it's the 12v supply and ground on the bottom right and all my fans coming out the left, 3 120s on the front, 2 on the back and one jumbo on the top.

If you don't have the supplies you can pick them up at any electrical supply store.

It's not really the issue of a mess for many, it's more of the issue that theirs too much current going through that many connections that it's getting hot, and in some peoples cases, almost catching fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom