Wirelessly sending computer screen and sound signals to a TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unregistered011012

Solid State Member
My dad has been obsessed with the idea of having his computer show up on the TV since he found out it was possible a couple months ago. He has a really out dated laptop and the only output is S-Video and I believe VGA? Our TV is very in-date I suppose you can say, it has HDMI ports, it's Sony I believe, and if I'm not mistaken it has a USB port, but just in case it doesn't since I could be mistaken, let's forget that as an option. :p

So what's the cheapest and most efficient way (Without lag hopefully) to give my dad the ability to sit back from across the room and show off YouTube videos to the family from his laptop to the TV wirelessly including video and sound.

Thanks! I appreciate it a lot! :)

Well, the cheapest is a s cable to rgb adapater, but then you need a long cable but thats with no sound.

You could run a media player device. I use an old dlink dm-320, and a media server application, like tversity. That would only serve media, pictues, music or video. Not his desktop.

Well, the cheapest is a s cable to rgb adapater, but then you need a long cable but thats with no sound.
Are you talking about doing it wiredly? We've done that with an S-Video wire, it worked alright, it was just short and didn't have sound (We needed an headphone wire or 3.5", whatever it's called :p). We can easily go out and get the cables for S-Video and headphone but it's way too much wires and my parents hate the idea of wires (They're still waiting for the day when everything, including electricity, will be wireless).
You could run a media player device. I use an old dlink dm-320, and a media server application, like tversity. That would only serve media, pictues, music or video. Not his desktop.
Ah yeah, we'd need the desktop to be shown. Not just media files. Mainly for the idea of streaming video hosted on the internet from other media players outside of YouTube.

Thanks for the help! :)

Doh... my newegg defaulted to canada when i swore i clicked .com

And why does everyone call everybody "mate" now?

I'm not anybodys mate... I'm not in the Navy, and only 10 of yous are Australian, and 15 British.

Ah... tversity is pretty good... You put the video url, or in youtube yo can use your user name and it'll pull your favorites, subscriptions and playlists... but for dsesktop showing it isnt.
Yeah, the problem with that is my dad uses sites other than YouTube to stream video. So I'm definitely looking for something that will show everything the computer streams.

Ah, thanks! It's a bit pricey, but that's definitely the idea I was looking for, I believe my uncle has something of that sort. I'll email it to him now.

Doh... my newegg defaulted to canada when i swore i clicked .com

And why does everyone call everybody "mate" now?

I'm not anybodys mate... I'm not in the Navy, and only 10 of yous are Australian, and 15 British.

I'm accustomed to say it. I talk to a lot of ppl in the UK.

I'm in the UK, I don't say 'mate'. Horrible word :p "Hi, mate" ...mate? I've never met you before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom