First timer, building a gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Tis the nature of the beast. I have built quite a few PCs but I still miss a connection now and then or don't get something seated well.

And after reseating, I get the same result. No beeps, just the light clicks of the LEDs coming on. When I took the RAM out, that also didn't produce any beeps. I guess at this point if it's a bad mobo, I'm done for since I can't order another one until January.
I also have a question about the graphics card I got. It's so big that I had trouble finding space for it, if it's put in the lowest slot it covers the CMOS reset and power buttons on the mobo. If it's in the second slot, it's pressing tightly against the audio plug in. It didn't fit in the first slot, but that was labeled differently (PCIE_X16 instead of X8).

EDIT: I did some further testing. First off, the graphics card did fit into the first slot, it's because the one clip in the back of the case doesn't come up all the way so it was that that was blocking it.

Second, following some troubleshooting that a couple sites and a friend gave, I unplugged the CPU's power to see if the mobo would boot completely, and it does...no shutting down or anything. So we're guessing that it's a bad processor :\

"I unplugged the CPU's power" Exactly what did you do? post up which mobo you got (the EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR?) and what plug you are talking about because that doesn't make sense to me.

Oh, and always use the top PCI-E slot as that is the default one. You want it to be x16.

Sorry for being vague. Yes I have the EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR, and by "unplug" I meant not plugging in the power cord that goes from the PSU to the 8-pin connector next to the CPU.

Take the computer apart, assemble it out of the case on a piece of cardboard and see if it will power up. Don't try this on the carpet or any surface that might develop a static electrical charge.

More than likely a component is grounding out, did you use the stand-offs between the motherboard tray and the motherboard?

Yes, I was using stand offs, nine of them like the manual said. I took the motherboard out and stuck the processor, heatsink+fan, one stick of RAM, and graphics card on, plugged it in and got the same issue. I took a video of the last time I ran it inside the case, in case that helps: MVI_0341.mp4 video by kariohki - Photobucket

EDIT: After watching a few more tutorial and troubleshooting videos, it turns out I wasn't seating my RAM properly. I didn't know you could push it in that far. Getting a 7F POST code now which means I need to hook it up to a monitor and see if it's displaying anything or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom