First build. It's a monster! Many questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For most users, even the overclockers, the EVGA Classified isn't really a good option. If your planning on using a more extreme cooling system, like a custom water loop or a phase-change then it's a Great board. I have the E760 Classified and it has the same layout and heatsink design as the E770, it doesn't have the proper clearance to properly orient any of the newer heatsinks that utilize a 140mm fan.

If I was buying a new mobo today I would probably go with the Asus P6X58D Premium.
Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I would go with this memory, OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600MHz 6-8-6-24
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600C6LV6GK

I would go with a GTX 580 or an AMD/ATI 6970.
Newegg.com - PNY VCGGTX580XPB GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Newegg.com - XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

I would hold off on the Sound Card. The on-board HD sound is pretty good, I would try it out before I spent the extra cash.

I would stick with the 980X but for most users the i7 950 is the smart buy.

The SSD is a great choice but you should buy a standard HDD for your Page File, Temporary Files and Storage.

If your buying for long term and you don't really have a budget then I would buy a "Good" High Wattage Power Supply that will support any additional upgrades you may desire, even if your not considering it at the present time.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Man the only downside the the x58d-e is thd lack of usb and sata connections.

I've been battling through this desicion, and today settled on the ud3r as its 6 usb 2 and 2 usb3 on the panel, and 8 sata and 2 sata 6Gig in side. Plus its down to $209. The d-e is suppose to oc a tiny bit better.

Hehe got bthat ram though and it was $75 after mir

Man the only downside the the x58d-e is thd lack of usb and sata connections.

It has (8) SATA ports and (6) usb ports not counting the (4) usb ports available by using the usb headers on the mobo. How is that a lack of connections? While you may need more than that, I don't think the average user or even someone like me needs more than that.

and I didn't recommend the x58d-e, I recommended the 6PX58D-Premium :thumbsup:

So as far as RAM, the (3 X 2GB) with a CL of 6-8-6-24 would be better than the (3 X 4GB) with a CL of 7-7-7-24? Other than price, that is the only difference between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom