USB ports + Flash Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelm3103

Fully Optimized
So I'm having this problem that anytime I hook up my flash drive and try to copy over large files...my flash disconnects :(. Laptop has 4 ports, tried it on 1 port and it always disconnects...I switched now it seems to be moving, but it disconnects randomly (sometimes it actually transfers the files).

From the looks of it, it's my port. Is there anyway to solve this problem or just avoid using the port? It only disconnects when copying over files and such, if my mouse is hooked up to it...it works normal.

I'd blame your flash drive. Disconnecting randomly should indicate that there is a loose connection, or has a bad sector. Did you try to do a checkdsk on it?

where did ya pick the flash drive up from and what size is it. and does it cut out and disconnect only when moving large files. could be possible like mom said bad sector or could be a fake flash drive and the size isn't what it supposed to be

I'd blame your flash drive. Disconnecting randomly should indicate that there is a loose connection, or has a bad sector. Did you try to do a checkdsk on it?
That's the first thing I tried, no bad sectors. Also how come it works nearly perfectly in 1 port and gives trouble in the other :(.
where did ya pick the flash drive up from and what size is it. and does it cut out and disconnect only when moving large files. could be possible like mom said bad sector or could be a fake flash drive and the size isn't what it supposed to be

Err had the flash drive a while now, may be over a year since I got it for a present for my birthday last year. The drive is a 16GB and ya it only happens when I move large files.

first thing to try turn of your computer unplug it and push the power button a few times to drain power from the board. might resolve the issue.
other wise try doing a few tests.

try removing all files from the drive. then try moving files varying in size and after each move make sure to take the files back off and move a large file till you find out what size it fails at. also try it in as many different ports as you can to rule out any issues. i don't think its your port unless theirs a bad connection

It's a laptop I'm on so the power button thing only works if I took out the battery :p but I did it anyways. Any file taking like between 1-2mins to transfer (files usually over 300mb) kinda stick and the drive disconnects. However I used this flash drive last night on another PC and it worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom