Artifcacting games, persistent onto desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akubane

Fully Optimized
Hey there. I've got some suspicions but a 2nd opinion might be nice.

Problem just started last week. I'd open up final fantasy xiv and start playing, after about 10 min I noticed a few artifacts and glitches here and there. And over the course of the next 5-10min + the artifacts would get progressively worse and worse. Solid pillars of color shooting all over the place and such. Lol.
Anyway, after exiting the game the desktop also seems affected. Solid lines mostly black with dots of color shooting across the screen.

Card isn't overclocked. I suspect it's just run its course. Maybe burning out? It's a couple years old now. Suffered heavy use.
Airflow in the case is fantastic, although the card has always run hot.

Sound like it's toast? Any programs I could run to test it?

Thanks guys.

Get HWMonitor and run it when you play the game. See what temps you get up to on your card. If temperatures are pretty high, you might want to look at an aftermarket GPU heatsink. I had one on my 8800GTS. It brought it down almost 15C

I would try HWMonitor, it should report your gpu's temperatures. It sounds like you won't need to run any benchmarks or such to heat the card up.

I just ran the game for quite a while with HWmonitor up. load was 83c. This card's seen hotter temps in the past and ATI's stated the cores are safe up to 110c. (Although prolongued exposure to high temps is never good anyway, regarldless of what they say)

Funny thing is the game didn't artifact this time. Seems like it's not a guaranteed thing.

Is it possible it could be a driver issue?

Thatd's what i'd think. Or if not BSOD, at least a game crash. I can keep playing the game while it's artifacting. It doesn't affect performance in the least, oddly enough.

If i was running an old PoS power supply i'd maybe have suspicions about that, but this PSU is the one piece of hardware i've got the most faith in lmao. I'm stumped.

The case is dust free as well. I blow it out bi-weekly with compressed air :S

Might be the GPU Clock or Memory clock that need to be underclocked. Artifacts usually show up when a GFX is stressed.

Seems strange it's happening all of a sudden. I ran it overclocked to 800/960 (stock is 750/900) for months, without artifacting. That was the lowest stable clock for 80% fan speed. I havent had it overclocked in weeks though.

Figure I should underclock it and run it like that until I can afford to replace it with a new one? :S I'd like to move to the 6970s anyhow. Problem now is being a starving student haha. Man going back to school is a pain

edit~ just checked hwmon again after running for another 30 min and max temp for vid card hit 95c on core 1 and 94 on core 2

Yea, at those temps, things at stock speeds start to show problems, add in an over clock of ram or core, and things get really bad and can carry into a 2d screen easily.

I would remove overclock, and clean out the heatsink, and potentially look into a new heatsink if the signs of artifacting go away once this is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom