Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
Hey guys, its been a long long time since i've posted
alright so now I still have my 8800GTS 512 hooked up to my 22"
I just bought this tv and i'll be getting it in 2 days

Newegg.com - LG 37" 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV 37LE5300

question is how well will it be able to perform and what cables willl i need to be able to use this, i do know my 512mb memory is gonna kill me from increasing resolution although for the older games i think i shud be fine.

I will be getting the GTX295 in a couple of months once me and my girl are together so i dont wanna upgrade my gpu right now...
so for playing movies from my pc will i be able to play full 1080 p,i?
sorry but im a noob when it comes to tvs, i've been on a tube ever since...so thanks plus i know this is mainly a pc section, best I could think of for upgrades,
Thanks

Ok, first off, dont get a GTX 295. they were great cards for their time (2 years ago) but there are much better cards for the same price out now. I suggest the GTX 4 or 5 series or the Radeon HD 5 or 6 series. they will alow you to take full advantage of HDMI. Which leads me to the next thing, you will also need a HDMI cable. HDMI is basicly the new cable for transmiting video signals though unlike previouse cables such as VGA and DVI, HDMI can also transmit audio signals which will mean you will not need to have speaker cable/s going from your PC to your TV. HDMI cables also come in different versions. You will want either v1.3b or any of the v1.4 cables. v1.4 supports 3D full HD and since your tv is 120hz, you can take advantage of that if you wanted to. V1.4 also benifits over v1.3 by alowing audio to be sent either way. v1.3 only alows audio to be sent to the tv but not vise versa. the GTX 295 only supports v1.3a which lacks the features of the newer cables.

You can pay BIG bucks for HDMI cables but they all do the same thing. there is a particular brand to steer clear from and that is Monster. they sell HDMI cables for stupid prices. you can pay up to $70 for a 3 metre cable. Tests have showen that the $20 3m cables perform just the same as Monster cables. if you plan on plugging and unplugging your cable alot then aim for a higher brand as HDMI cables wear out very quickly. You will also need a Bluray CD drive to play Full HD 1080p movies form your pc.

so to throw it all into a nut shell, you will need a $20 HDMI v1.4 OR v1.3b (if you dont want to go 3D), and a new graphics card (Not gtx 295) and a Bluray CD drive. With all this stuff, you will be watching FULL HD 1080p movies and playing all your games in FULL HD 1080p before you know it. Hope this helps :) and good luck

thanks for the reply well here's the situation
my girl already has the gtx295, although i do plan on selling that and getting the gtx570(lovin the reviews on it)
but for now i have the 8800gts 512 so i'm wondering what i can do with that
so shud i get the hdmi cable with the dvi on the other side and i'll be set? or is there something i'm missing.

EDIT

Plus i'll be hooking this up to my pc, gonna try to see if it'll fit on my table plus i dont watch regular tv at all only for the nfl games so i'd prefer gettin it hooked to my table

If your TV supports DVI than there is no point in getting the HDMI----->DVI cable. Just get the DVI----->DVI cable. W8 until you get your GTX 295 for the HDMI cable. You will not gain the benifits of HDMI by using DVI on one end. Your picture quality will be identical but sound will not be. The GTX 470 is a great card you cant go wrong there but the GTX 295 is just fine for now if u already have it. Does support HDMI unlike yor 8800gts.

I was in a similar boat as you several days back. I'am gettin the Samsung BX2450 24" LED 1080p for xmas XD but i had no idea what a HDMI cable did and what its benifits were. I spent houres on the internet checking and re checking all the details. It was all fresh in my head so i was happy to share it :)

im not sure if it will have a dvi port,
in the specs for pc input it shows D-Sub
lets say it doesn't have a dvi port so then i shud get the hdmi - dvi cable? plus i don't get how the sound will transfer from the dvi cable...
will i have to install the hd audio drivers that come in the nvidia driver package?

If your TV supports DVI than there is no point in getting the HDMI----->DVI cable. Just get the DVI----->DVI cable. W8 until you get your GTX 295 for the HDMI cable. You will not gain the benifits of HDMI by using DVI on one end. Your picture quality will be identical but sound will not be. The GTX 470 is a great card you cant go wrong there but the GTX 295 is just fine for now if u already have it. Does support HDMI unlike yor 8800gts.

I was in a similar boat as you several days back. I'am gettin the Samsung BX2450 24" LED 1080p for xmas XD but i had no idea what a HDMI cable did and what its benifits were. I spent houres on the internet checking and re checking all the details. It was all fresh in my head so i was happy to share it :)
He wants a 570, not a 470. IIRC the 570 is ahead of the 295, uses less power, less prone to dieing, and puts out less heat.

To answer your original question, the 8800GTS 512MB played 1080p movies just fine on my PC when i had one.

He wants a 570, not a 470. IIRC the 570 is ahead of the 295, uses less power, less prone to dieing, and puts out less heat.

To answer your original question, the 8800GTS 512MB played 1080p movies just fine on my PC when i had one.

thanks . what wires did u use? hdmi to dvi? and what about for sound
plus yes the 570, it seems the best bang for the buck atm
i remember buying my current card for its price like 3 years ago!!!

The 2 times i used it on a TV it was straight DVI to DVI playing 1080p BD movie rips off my server. So, i was streaming the movie through hard wired network and playback was on the TV. No lag at all really.

@ PP Mguire, I already answered his original question, why on earth would you reanswer it??? His girl already has the GTX 295. He can use the GTX 295 until he sells it. It will be a tonne better then hs 8800gts. Also, I was not saying His 8800GTS caould not play full HD. I clearly stated that playing HD through a DVI cable was just as good as a HDMI cable. No difference, only in the sound. Please in the future, dont hyjack threads.

@krazyq, get the HDMI------>DVI as you said. it will be just fine. Its just that some people think that because it has 1 HDMI plug, then they get the full benifits of HDMI. You don't. For the sound, are you using external speakers or the inbuilt speakers in the TV?

im not sure if it will have a dvi port,
in the specs for pc input it shows D-Sub
lets say it doesn't have a dvi port so then i shud get the hdmi - dvi cable? plus i don't get how the sound will transfer from the dvi cable...
will i have to install the hd audio drivers that come in the nvidia driver package?
Didnt see this before, D-Sub = analog. So you will need a DVI-HDMI adapter for your card.

dvi-hdmi.jpg

@ PP Mguire, I already answered his original question, why on earth would you reanswer it??? His girl already has the GTX 295. He can use the GTX 295 until he sells it. It will be a tonne better then hs 8800gts. Also, I was not saying His 8800GTS caould not play full HD. I clearly stated that playing HD through a DVI cable was just as good as a HDMI cable. No difference, only in the sound. Please in the future, dont hyjack threads.

@krazyq, get the HDMI------>DVI as you said. it will be just fine. Its just that some people think that because it has 1 HDMI plug, then they get the full benifits of HDMI. You don't. For the sound, are you using external speakers or the inbuilt speakers in the TV?
Because your making it sound like the 8800GTS 1080p playback will be inadequate compared to the 295 when in fact its really no different at all. So i simplified your answers to something short and sweet as well as making a correction to the 470 mistake.
Also if your card has an HDMI slot then yes, you get full benefits of HDMI. A DVI-HDMI adapter (or cable if he goes that route) will not carry sound which answered another question of his.

So im not hijacking a thread, im simply answering his questions so he can get a second, clearer opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom