Upgrading laptop memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riznarf

In Runtime
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a laptop with 6gb ddr3 1333 ram. I'm a somewhat heavy gamer etc... So I think I'd want to upgrade to 8gb. So, 2 questions:

1) am I crazy for wanting to upgrade? Is 6gb more than enough?
2) is it a really big no-no to mix and match ram brands? Or will I be ok just adding 2gb of another brand to the already installed 6gb?

Thanks, as always,

1) For gaming, more than 6gb is unnecessary. Save the cash.

2) It's not recommended to mix brands because of all the variables involved so unless you know exactly what your doing don't do it.

On top of that there isn't going to be an extra slot to put 2 more gb in. You will have to buy an 8gb kit and replace all the ram sticks.

With the 6gb it's probably going to be 2 x 3gb sticks in 2 slots. In order to get 8 you will obviously need to buy 2 x 4gb sticks and place them in place of the others.

Actually, for any use, over 4GB is overkill. I have 8GB in mine. But that is because I run Virtual Machines often, need the RAM.

It's not reccomended, but yes, you can mix brands. Just remember it will default to the lowest variable. Timings/clocks, as well as rpm.

Abstract said the rest. To update my old Dell from 1GB to 2GB RAM, I had to buy a 2x 1GB set.

If you need the extra features that come with this laptop, then yes, get it. But if you can get another laptop with 4gb RAM at a cheaper price, why pay extra money for 2GB that you will never really use?

On my Dell Vostro 1500, Dell sold it with 1GB in it. You had to pay $100 for 2GB. So I just got the RAM separate, and saved myself $40.

Ok thanks all, it all seems pretty unanimous that 6gb should be more than enough, although I THINK there are 4 ram slots. Not sure. Anywho, the reason I'm asking this is because I was looking at the asus g73 and then saw the asus g53 which is essentially the same laptop, 2" smaller and 2gb less ram. I know it spunds weird, but I think I'd prefer the portability of the 15" especially since I'll be using it as a desktop replacement and hooking it up to a 24" monitor.

Heres another totally unrelated question though, if with USB 2.0 I don't transfer files at nearly 480mbps, will USB 3.0 significantly increase my speed? Furthermore, if I'm just using an external harddrive for
Music/movies/pictures, do I really even need to consider a USB 3.0 drive? (I think I already know the answer to that one) finally, any external hdd suggestions? I'm lookin for 500-1000gb of storage, 7200rpm. Was looking at the seagate goflex or whatever, thoughts?

Just did some newegg pricechecking. It would appear a USB 2.0 vs a USB 3.0 (7200rpm) external hdd is only about a $20-30 more expensive, so would it be worth it to futureproof a little bit?

You will see a significant difference it transfer times with a 3.0 drive so I would say go for it. As per the laptop itself either model would be an excellent PC it's a matter of personal preference. If you want small, I say go small.

You will see a significant difference it transfer times with a 3.0 drive so I would say go for it. As per the laptop itself either model would be an excellent PC it's a matter of personal preference. If you want small, I say go small.

Ok so next question, if I'm buying a USB 3.0 external hdd, would it make sense for me to build I myself? Just because I can't see for sure whether these pre-made ones are 6gb/s drives and if the interface is really Sata III. If I "built" it myself id have that guarantee.

Also, what's the deal with open box items from newegg. It says theres a possibility that the item won't come with all accessories. I was thinking of this:
Newegg.com - Open Box: Thermaltake BlacX 5G ST0019U ABS Plastic 2.5" & 3.5" Black USB 3.0 Docking Station

Thoughts? Thanks as always,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom