Have a problem and need help real badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phizzlestix

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

Well I finally got all the parts to my computer I powered everything up and my monitor will not get a signal from my video card XFX radeon HD 6870. I plugged the monitor into my laptop and it worked fine but when plugged into the new rig I just get "No Signal"

I was wondering if somehow the computer doesn't have the display switched to DVI as the automatic display output (there is no VGA port on the graphics card) and if it isnt how am I supposed to switch it when I can't see?

Hope someone can help me out thanks in advance

if you have a graphics card plugged into your mother board it is the main display port, and you can plug a monitor into any one of the display ports of the graphics card and get a signal from the card.

double and tripple check all the connections in your computer and graphics card, make sure everything is fully seated and plugged in.

I finally figured it out thanks guys, it was the 8 pin CPU power it was like a hair unplugged pushed it firmly and boom we had ignition,

Hey sean and paton got a couple question for ya

1) I finished the build, installed windows 7, video drivers download anti virus. What other "brand new boot" steps do you guys take? im sure I will learn some stuff.

2)I got the CPU cooler you suggested Sean, which on that note thank you so much for the advice i ordered basically exactly what you sent except I got 8 gigs of ram. My question is when I installed the heatsync im paranoid about the thermal paste. I put a small amount like a thumbtack on the CPU and installed the heatsink. How do I know if its functioning as intended or if I did something wrong?

3) I added the 120mm fan to the Heatsink on the CPU cooler so I have 2 on it right now the fans blow as illustrated

^
|
120 120 120 == 140
||<----||<--HEATSINK-->||->-^

the numbers are the fan sizes the two 120m fans pull air out of heat sink one goes up to the 140 top of case fan and the other to the rear chasis fan. Is it better to have i strait current all fans blowing in the same directions through the heat sinklike below?

120 120 120 == 140
||<----||<--HEATSINK<--|| ^

sorry for the dictionary post im just really gettin amped up after the build rekindled my old interests and im trying to learn some stuff to take it further (next step is overclocking basics) :)

Thanks guys

I'm lost on your heatsink fan issue, but mainly as i don't know which one you have.

as for things to instal, I would now go and ensure you have all the latest drivers, as gpu drivers are always updating and its possible the rest have too.

Edit

Checked your build post.

1) You might have put too much paste on... You need only a uncooked grain of rice size.

I'm not clear why you have 2 fans on the cooler. 1 fan pushing air through the fins is plenty.
The other fans should be put onto the case to pull air into the front of the case.

You should have the 2 140s on the top of the case and the 120 in the front. This does sorta unbalance the airflow, but the mess sides will allow air to get in due to negative pressure.

Sorry paton im not much of an diagram guy I have this heatsink

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

you can mount a fan on either side of the heat sink or both, I opted for 2 so what I was asking is if the heatsink is in between 2 fans is it better to have each fan PULL air out from the middle or both fans blow in the same direction to PUSH air through the heatsink I know its confusing as **** lol. I'm not even sure its a big deal just thought id ask cause I was curious

Sorry paton im not much of an diagram guy I have this heatsink

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

you can mount a fan on either side of the heat sink or both, I opted for 2 so what I was asking is if the heatsink is in between 2 fans is it better to have each fan PULL air out from the middle or both fans blow in the same direction to PUSH air through the heatsink I know its confusing as **** lol. I'm not even sure its a big deal just thought id ask cause I was curious

you where fairly clear on what you have set up, you should have the fans set up blowing hte same direction towards teh back of the case, download and install something like HWmonitor or speedfan or anything that will tell you the CPU tempature to make sure its working properly, if the fans are set up correctly and you have a good amount of thermal paste your temp should be pretty low.

sweet thanks zero ill check that out I think my motherboard has something like asustek fan or something ill look into it tonight. While I have everyones attention does it matter if the one fan that came with my heatsink has a 4 pin connector and the other 120mm has a 3 pin and im still plugging it into the 4 pin motherboard connector? it spins and works I just wasnt sure if that wasnt correct setup

The 4 pin is a controlable fan, the 3 pin isn't. You just need to get the 3 plug on the corect 3 pins on the plug, and it seems that you have.

So the 3pin fan will run at 100% all the time where as the 4pin will be controlled by the mobo. Only thing that will really happen is the controlled fan won't brun as fast as its regulated by the bios basically, so with the 3pin one running, the cpu will be fairly cool, till you realy work the cpu.... Which is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom