CM Sniper Case Fan Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2IT

Baseband Member
Hey all, I don't really plan on building a new PC until late January but NewEgg had a deal on this case and a Corsair power supply that I would have been kicking myself forever if I didn't act on it. The problem is the case fans are blue and I plan on getting an Asus Rampage 3 motherboard that is black and red. The CM Storm Sniper case comes in two variations, the regular one that I got that has 3 blue 200mm fans pre installed and an AMD version with 2 red 200mm fans.

CoolerMaster sells both of these red and blue 200mm fans separately as you can see here (link). However, while these fans are stated to be compatible with the storm Sniper case it also says: "Fan and LED will operate but full LED ON/OFF function will not be compatible when used on HAF 922 or CM Storm Sniper." CoolerMaster's website has the exact same note without elaborating any further.

What the heck does that mean? Does it mean the fan light cannot be turned off when the case is off? Does it mean the speed cannot be controlled by the case knob? And more importantly, is it possible to make the red replacement lights work with my case the way the blue ones do? Why would these be any different than what's already in the case? Do I need to mod some of the wiring to get them to work just like the ones in my case? Lot's of questions, I know ;)

I sent CoolerMaster an e-mail but they didn't really answer my question other than basically saying "can't help you". So I need some advice on what to do to get these to work, and hopefully a better explanation as to what exactly that note means. At $22 a pop I don't want to order 3 of them if they aren't going to work out the way I want!

As far as I understand it, owning the HAF 922, The on and off switch on the top of the case, controlling the front blue leds, may not be compatable with other cases. But I believe that is really not a problem. They come with lil buttons that can turn the leds on and off.

The fans come with little buttons? I don't even know where those would go, but it sounds ghetto. I want them to be controlled just like the blue fans that are already in the case, through the knob/button on the case.

Ahh I get you now. What about the lights though? From the little added note it sounds like they would never turn off, which would be friggin retarded if they stayed on at night blinding me in my sleep lol. I know there has got to be a way to mod them if I need to, but I'm hoping they work the same way the AMD sniper case works, I mean you'd think they would be the same fans, right? I might just have to go ahead and buy the fans and hope I don't waste $60 in the process.

img0859mo.jpg

This is my back fan. You turn the fan glow on and off by that little knob.

I can't see the knob in the picture but if its inside the case that wouldn't work for me. I just don't want any lights on when the computer is off because its right next to my bed, but I don't want them off all the time, I do want them on when the computer is running.

one would assume so, but I'm asking because someone that left a review mentioned something about their fan light being on even with the PC shut down.

Is your case able to control the fan speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom