Should I get this PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unregistered011012

Solid State Member
I'm shootin' for a new laptop, the one I'm going for is called an HP Pavilion dm4-1160us 14-Inch Laptop PC. It's on sale at OfficeDepot for like $200 off I believe.

The processor, RAM, hard drive, battery life, size, all looks okay. If the screen size is an issue, I'd definitely look into buying an external monitor to hook it up to, or better yet a TV through HDMI if I had to. But I'd definitely need something I can carry to school easily.

The only thing concerning me is the graphics card and the sound card. I don't know anything about either of them, the rest of the hardware I know about decently.

As for the graphics card, I'd like to be able to stream 720p YouTube videos (My current laptop can't, that's how bad it is), 1080p would be nice too. And of course stream it smoothly and overall have good performance with it. I'd also like to be able to play Minecraft (On that note, also play it online without lag and with just overall good performance).

Sound cards, don't know anything about 'em; well I am a musician. I'd like to be able to run programs like Mixcraft, Ableton Live, FL Studio and such smoothly. But as a musician who does a bunch of producing, mixing, writing and is even going to major in Music Production and Design or Audio Engineering, would it be a good fit? I'm really into audio hardware too.

I know this is a lot, but maybe someone could help, I'd definitely appreciate it a lot. I'm gonna try to pick it up tomorrow if I feel satisfied with my decision.

So thanks ahead! I really appreciate it! :)

Sound cards don't change whether you can run musical programs, they just give crisper sound, the better the card the better the sound.
The processors a monster, RAM and hard drive fine :). I can't find out what the exact GPU chip is, but it says HD graphics so im fairly sure it will play 1080p on youtube, definitely 720p smoothly. Also it should be able to play Minecraft easily. As for the emulators it is against the forum rules to talk about pirated software.

Looks pretty descent, i guess if its 200$ less its worth it, the only thing i see what you could upgrade when you buy it is investing into a 7200rpm HDD since the current one is 5400 RPM which is pretty slow. And seeing its an intel chip without even a model is probably really low end.

My moms laptop is pretty recent and has one of those Intel HD graphics and it gives Terrible performance, even though it claims it can stream 720p video no problem, it does it poorly.

My recommendation is not to go with it, you can find much better especially with the holiday sales

As for the emulators it is against the forum rules to talk about pirated software.
Emulators aren't illegal as long as you own the game and legally copied the bios from your own console if the emulator requires bios. But emulators aren't illegal.

Emulators aren't illegal as long as you own the game and legally copied the bios from your own console if the emulator requires bios. But emulators aren't illegal.

Didn't say they were illegal, just that it's against the forum rules to discuss them :)
And anyway 90% of people you come across will have illegally downloaded the software and ROMs, in the real world - no ones as innocent as portray :D.

Oh, didn't know it was against the rules to discuss them here. Sorry
Chillstalker said:
And anyway 90% of people you come across will have illegally downloaded the software and ROMs, in the real world - no ones as innocent as portray .
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom