GPU OC help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
Hi again! So, after OCing my i5 760 to 4.0Ghz, why not OC my GFX, too?

This is my information:

2j5ds75.png

Latest Catalyst 2010.1026.2246.39002 (I was just looking at CCC, and accidentally forgot to uncheck the Overdrive box)

I read guides, watched videos on youtube, and I just want to make sure I understand this correctly before I kill something.

I read to adjust GPU Clock by 15Mhz, Memory clock by 30Mhz. Also to watch temps. Now, as seen above, CCC says it is 42C, while GPUz says it's 47C. (HWMonitor says 42C also)

I hear F@H-GPU is the best stress program for GPU?

I would only raise the GPU clock and memory seperate so than when it fails you know which one did it. I don't like to use F@H because 2 hours of folding is like 15 minutes of BFBC2 because folding stresses mostly shaders. I've run folding for 4 hours on an OC and had no issues but 10 minutes of Black Ops made the drivers fail. I usually game to stress (benchmarks or gameplay.) so besides that I'm not sure what to use.

I'd suggest googling up how graphics cards work too btw, e.g. bandwidth, memory clocks, etc. Find out what they all mean and what they do, then you'll have a better idea of how/what to OC on your card. Just as there's no point putting racing wheels on a moped, there's no point having a card with 200 GB/s bandwidth if the rest of the settings/clocks won't utilise it.

Sorry Soul, but I prefer to learn on the fly. I'm not reading a 1,000 page book on how to turn on a light switch. I'm just asking from the above, it that the general idea of what you do. If my card breaks, you're paying for it.

And Abstract, I didn't go through my i5 OC just changing one thing to the max, you have to give each thing the right volts, as I understand it. Is a GPU OC any different?

OCing a GPU is way different though. You don't go through all the voltage tom foolery and since it's almost purely based on the cards architecture you do have to go step by step.

Not to mention Slay got you past 99% of your OC with good ol' fashion experience. What took you a few hours could have been doubled had you done it for yourself.

But than make sure to read the part about voltages. Your card and for the sake of argument my card do not support voltage changes.

I do have a tip to speed things along mister impatient. Find the fastest OC'd model of your card and copy those speeds. ~90% of the time it's a safe OC. I did that and worked off of those settings. :thumbsup:

Overclocking a graphics card is much different from overclocking a cpu. Instead of just one frequency, there's several. If you don't understand how they work together, and what the frequencies etc actually do and mean, you're literally just shooting in the dark.
If something goes wrong, you'll be stuck because you've got no idea of actually what you've changed or done. It's always a good idea to learn ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom