CPU Power vs. GPU Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riznarf

In Runtime
Hi all-

Ill get right down to it. I'm buying a new laptop, and I want one that will be "up to date" for a few years to come, (yes I know, no such thing as futureproofing.) But I want something powerful and best bang for the buck. I do game so I'll want a high end video card too.

I've narrowed it down to the two following options: (for all intensive purposes the laptops are exactly the same (including price) except for the following)

1. i7-740QM + nVidia GeForce GTX 460M
2. i7-720QM + mobility radeon 5870

I know the 5870 is one of the top (if not THE top) laptop video card, but I feel 1.60ghz on the 720QM (even the 2.83ghz overclock) may be a bit slow whereas for an ~10% vgu preformance reduction I can get another ~200mhz on the cpu.

Thoughts?

Newegg.com - ASUS G Series G73JH-X1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 17.3" 8GB Memory 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Newegg.com - ASUS G Series G73JW-XN1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 740QM(1.73GHz) 17.3" 8GB Memory 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M

The first one is out of stock as far as I see.
@MOM : Sorry to hear, mate. Are you okay now?
EDIT : Actually, according to the list, HD Radeon 5870 IS better than GTX 460M
You possibly missed the part of SLI, as GTX 460M SLI is better than 5870, but not GTX 460M.

He isn't going to SLI with a notebook, Skorpian.

I'm all right, Skorpian. Didn't break or sprain anything, just a big bruise on my right hip. ;)

Abstract Hero said:
Skorpian wasn't saying he was going for an SLI. He said on our graphics list the only 460m higher than the 5870 is SLI.
Exactly ;).
MindoverMaster said:
I'm all right, Skorpian. Didn't break or sprain anything, just a big bruise on my right hip.
Good to know nothing broke. Get well soon, mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom