Athlon 64 - Keeps restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.
back to the original topic :D...

one suggestion i have is to unplug as much shit as you dont need to find out if perhaps it doesnt restart when less power is used by other things... i had a system that wouldnt start with 2 HDD's and 2 opticals an nvidia card and 7 fans, so i unplugged one optical and a few fans and now it works fine, so good luck :)

Ok, i've tried it with the new RAM stick in and none others and it still restarts, and i've tried it with just the basics attached to the MB:
- Graphics card (btw, thats a Geforce FX 5600XT - 128MB)
- HDD
- 265 RAM (new)
- Floppy Drive

I disconnected the other units from the power, or unplugged them completely and it still restarts i'm afraid.

Ok does it even POST? Are you able to get to the hard drive? Have you tried using a program like memtest86+ to test to see for 100% sure if your RAM is good? And you said you had tried taking out each device indidually? (this is assuming it didn't post)

are you getting any kind of response out of the machine besides restarting, beeps anything?

Ok, i got a 650W PSU and attached that to just the Motherboard, HDD and DVD ROM, and it still restarts at the same point.

I ran Memtest-86 on just the new RAM and it came back without any errors

There are no beeps other than the one between the graphics card bios screen and the normal bios startup screen, and that one has always been there.

Oh, and i dont understand what Posting is :p

EDIT: I just tried running a windows 2000 cd and it booted to the install screen, so i got a backup copy of XP and ran that, its just got to the setup screen....
I dont understand why that is working, but i'm going to reinstall XP and hope...

I'll let you know if it works.

post= power on self test... where it checks the RAM tells you speed of processor and what harddrives and shit you have... tho i m pretty sure yours does being as you said it will begin to boot from CD but wont let you finish it...

EDIT:

have you tried booting the OS again or just the CD? it could be the CD had an error to begin with but the OS is now good... unlikely but possible. Did you install the OS after you put in this processor?

so it is working now, installing new OS for you? if so then congrats and what do you think solved it? i believe, this is just a guess, but i think that it was some problem with a winxp driver and something in your configuration...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom