Primary PCI E 2.0 x16 slot vs Secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

relikpL

Baseband Member
Hi,

Does it matter which one I use for my video card if I don't plan on doing Crossfire/SLI? Will it still run at x16?

One slot is in a more convenient location and doesn't block as many PCI slots.
Also, how do you determine the primary if it's not labeled?

Thank you

According to your mobo specifications you have a 16x PCI-E 2.0 (primary) and a 4x PCI-E2.0 (secondary). You should use the primary one since the 4x port will cap your gpu performance. The primary should be the one on the top.

According to your mobo specifications you have a 16x PCI-E 2.0 (primary) and a 4x PCI-E2.0 (secondary). You should use the primary one since the 4x port will cap your gpu performance. The primary should be the one on the top.

For some reason this is the second instance that the specifications online said that there are 2x 16x PCI-E slots. I find this misleading.

I'm assuming only true SLI/Crossfire mobos have them?

well that's what the actual slot is called though, pci-e x16 slot

pci_express_001.JPG

so they are correct it has 2 x16 slots. although the second slot is physically full size on the board, the actual transfer rate of it is capped at x4.

that's how i see it anyway.

well that's what the actual slot is called though, pci-e x16 slot

pci_express_001.JPG

so they are correct it has 2 x16 slots. although the second slot is physically full size on the board, the actual transfer rate of it is capped at x4.

that's how i see it anyway.

now that makes sense. thank you for clarifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom