Other Tools for Computer Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBFan

Solid State Member
I've ordered the components for my computer, so one of the last things I'm thinking about before construction is what other tools I need that are often forgot. The biggest two things I'm wondering about are a grounding wristband and a tool kit. Here's the basic questions:

Is there anything specific I need to find for each of these?
Is just one grounding wristband fine, or do I need one for each wrist?
What type of tool kit should I get?
Are there any suggestions about reliable grounding wristbands or tool kits?
Is there anything else in addition to that I might need?

I apologize if some of these seem too simple, I just want to cover everything so I don't get halfway through building it and realize I did something wrong or am missing something.

No need for a wristband as long as you use common sense and ground yourself every now and then.

I use a multi-screwdriver (swappable head/ends) and a set of needle-nosed pliers (for putting screws into holes with limited access, picking same). That's all I really ever need when building.

It may be common sense to ground myself every now and then, but considering this is my first build, I'm probably not going to take any risks (though you could argue that the very process of building a computer is a risk in itself). I'll probably get one grounding wristband just to be safe.

The tools was what I was more interested in. I know that magnetism is the biggest concern there (no magnets too close to the hard drive). I'll definitely make sure to get some needle-nose pliers, and a screwdriver set with various heads (including smaller ones) shouldn't be hard to find. Beyond magnetism, is there anything else to be concerned about?

Try not to gouge the motherboard with a screwdriver. Seriously. I have read many horror stories where someone wasn't paying attention and ruined their board.

But, as for other tools, that would really be all you need. Grab some stuff like small/mini zip ties for cable management and you will be set.

Thanks for that advice with installing the motherboard...wasn't even thinking about that. That would be tragic.

I did get zip ties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom