CPU + GPU = $200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract Hero

Hyper Techie
So I had originally had a smaller budget for Christmas and I had chosen to go with a Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDX945FBGIBOX

I officially got my Christmas budget today at $200. What I would like to do is upgrade my CPU and GPU to something much better than I have now or hear what you guys think.
Right now I have:

Athlon X2 4450e @2.3
GT240 1GB DDR3

Should I upgrade both in this budget or just get one upgrade?

The rest of my build with relevance. (already owned):

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-500CX 500W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply

Newegg.com - Foxconn A78AX-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
It has been flashed to AM3. Here's the support list. Foxconn Support - CPU Support List

If I upgrade both what would you suggest?
WARNING: Partial to Nvidia.:p

EDIT: This build will game and use music editing software.

I'm not sure about GFX cards, but if you could get something similar to a Radeom HD5770, I think you will be happy with it. I guess if you could tone down the CPU a bit, maybe you can put more money on the GFX.

Blegh, yeah definitely leave the GT240 alone, especially the DDR3 model.
At that price range, you're going to have to short change yourself on one item in order to get something decent in the other.

What's your current CPU? Or do you not have one?

Abstract if I were you right now I would take that tri-core cpu I owned that cpu this year and it has done perfectly for what I needed it to.
Plus it will unlock to quadcore with the right mobo the ACC feature, I know you want a video card so...
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX450WFGMBOX
Newegg.com - MSI 880GM-E43 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
I know you want a video card badly, but please man hear me out, build a stronger system for christmas.
Then worry about getting a new video card in late winter time, trust me this will handle your needs and then some. ;)

I already have a mobo and I covers all the the way to AM3 and has unlocking abilities. Are you suggesting I go with that Athlon? Wouldn't it benefit me more to go with the last CPU I suggested since it's a Phenom with L3 cache and unlock and overclock it?

Mike, the onboard video on that board won't play many games well. Also, OCing on a micro will limit you.

The 5770 is a solid choice, definitely a world better than the 240.

edit: Mike's right in that the cpu he linked to will give you better performance (not sure about OCing). It's only a small increase really, maybe 8%? Both CPUs are rather underwhelming anyway :p Your choice.

I didn't see your link until you posted after mine, but yes, that athlon ii is newer than phenom ii, sure it lacks L3 cache but it sure the heck beats it...
Speaking of which does your mobo have the acc feature, are you sure it can unlock that phenom ii x3 ? I don't want to see you upset if it cannot.
Not all Phenom's and athlon's will get unlocked and thats mostly do to unstable cores or l3 cache.
Thats reason why that athlon ii currently doesn't have it enabled and don't try to access it.

OK I think I confused you guys...

I already own the 240 I want to replace it for obvious reasons ;).

If I overclock and Unlock that Phenom won't it be faster than the Athlon?

IS the 5770 and the Phenom a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom