Newbie Alert! PC Build or PC Up-grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't really compare built-in Graphics, like the HD4250 with the other cards on the list. As a built-in component it's performance will vary greatly by the cpu and system memory it's paired with. If your even the slightest bit concerned about video performance then a video card is your best bet. The simple fact that a video card has it's own built-in memory, so it's not using system memory, means that the computer will perform better.

The card Sniper picked is a low-end solution suitable for general computing and playing video games at lower resolutions. While it's a newer model card with DX11 support it really doesn't have enough power to actually use those features and enjoy the experience in any modern games. I would look at the 5750 or the 5770 for a more enjoyable experience at under $150.

Yeah I see what you mean. A bigger/newer case would give me more cooling room. How big of a system before going with a cooling system, outside of a fan? (just wondering). Ill probably stick with the case I have now, but for another 50 bones I could afford it. I just would rather have a skeleton to work with, that looks familiar.

What issues would I have running the video editing program? I did see some lag with my current one, while working with basic web graphics, and it was stated earlier that the onboard vid card would smoke my old one. So I appreciate the opinion, but will probably wait till later on that, kinda like the monitor upgrade.

And sorry, newbie lingo question. GPU-Graphical Processesing Unit. how am I already -out-, one of these with the configuration, would it not be in the quote from Trotter? Wondering

Update: I just read the next post and mow understand why I still need a GPU. Could I use the old one for now and wait for the other upgrade? See original post for specs on current Grfx crd.

The 4200 is basically equal to a 7600GT but is DirectX 10 capable. The 4250 will be a little better, around the 8600 level or so.

The GPU/graphical processing unit for the motherboard is the 4250, whereas a graphics card would have its own GPU. A discreet card is a better solution for graphic intensive apps and most gaming, although my mother-in-law's computer uses the onboard 4200 and she plays a lot of casual/adventure games without a problem. An onboard GPU (built into the motherboard) uses some of the RAM on the motherboard for graphics as well as some of the CPU; a discreet card has its own RAM and does the graphics work without touching the processor.

A new case will give you better airflow and probably look a lot better than your current Dell case. Once you remove the shroud that runs from the rear fan to your CPU you will be able to reverse the fan so it blows air out (as I think it draws air in for the CPU heatsink... but I could be wrong). Anyway, once you get rid of the shroud you can have an exhaust fan which will help to keep the case cooler.

I would recommend going with what I suggested for now, and building on it as you go (new case, new PSU, graphics card, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom