monitor not connecting to computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
I have a Samsung SyncMaster 2333 monitor. It was plugged into my laptop for the last year, no real issues. I've just moved it over to my desktop and its not connecting! What on earth could be causing this?

The last monitor was connected fine an hour ago. I plugged this one in without shutting down and after that it didnt get picked up. I shutdown the computer (by pressing the button - remember I couldnt see the start button b/c the monitor wasnt working), but after starting it again it still didnt get picked up. Then I reset (by button) again not working. I disconnected the monitor from the computer and the screen changed immediately. Whereas its blank for the most part, when I disconnected it I got some screen which kinda registered the fact that its not connected to anything.

There's some buttons on the size of the monitior, besides Power there's an Auto button, and a few others I assume having to do w/ size and shape of screen. Pressing them randomly hasnt done much. Turning the monitor on/off hasnt helped.

Please advise!

Thanks
Dan

When you plug in this monitor onto your laptop, does your laptop screen go blank also or just the monitor? If it's just the monitor, try hooking up the monitor, when it goes blank, check the setting on your laptop to see if your 2nd display is set to show or disabled.

ive hooked my laptop back to the monitor and its working fine. im not sure if we had a disconnect, i was saying the monitor isnt connecting to my desktop, not my laptop.

problem is solved.

the first thing i did to troubleshoot (before i posted) was to see if the monitor is actually connected. it was indeed.

i plugged in my old one to verify that was still working. that wasnt either. both worked w/ my laptop.

then i saw another jack where a monitor could possibly fit. could it really be that simple i thought. it was indeed that simple. i had plugged it into the wrong jack. im ashamed of myself.

thread may be closed.

lol i dint know such terms applied to monitor plugs. ive only seen one size plug ever coming out of a monitor. anyway it very much fit into two diff plugs. the first one actually had a monitor diagram next to it and it was close to everything else (the inputs for keyboard and mouse etc). the one that ended up working was much below everything else.

Ah well the normal VGA is most likely what you're referring to (it has like 3 rows of pins...that's the easy way of identifying it lol). Not exactly sure what's the port that you put it in but never mind that, at least you got it solved :).

both jacks i put it in had 3 rows of pins :)

im noticing my computer is functioning much more slowly than it used to. i never thought a monitor could be responsible before, but could it? i never had issues w/ speed before and now its pretty severe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom