Newbie Alert! PC Build or PC Up-grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim2010

Baseband Member
So I have been listening to a few things lately around here, and realize I know nothing in the way of configurations or specifications. Just want a basic start on things; ya know some newbie help.:neutral:

I would like to upgrade a Dell Dimensions 3000 w/
Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
35 GB HD
1 GB RAM
Running Windows XP V 2002

General
Type Media center
Product Form Factor Micro tower
Width 7.2 in
Depth 16.8 in
Height 14.5 in
Weight 22.9 lbs

Processor
Type Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
Installed Qty 1
Max Supported Qty 1

Cache Memory
Type L2 cache
Installed Size 1 MB
Cache Per Processor 1 MB

Mainboard
Chipset Type Intel 865GV
Data Bus Speed 533 MHz

RAM
Installed Size 256 MB / 1 GB (max)
Technology DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed 400 MHz
Memory Specification Compliance PC3200
Form Factor DIMM 184-pin
Features Dual channel memory architecture

Storage Controller
Type 1 x IDE - integrated
Controller Interface Type ATA-100

Storage
Hard Drive 1 x 40 GB - standard - ATA-100 - 7200 rpm

Graphics Controller
Type Integrated
Graphics Processor / Vendor Intel Extreme Graphics 2 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 2.0

Audio Output
Type Sound card - integrated
Compliant Standards AC '97

Telecom
Modem Fax / modem - PCI - plug-in card
Max Transfer Rate 56 Kbps

Networking
Networking Network adapter - integrated
Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet

Expansion / Connectivity :sad:
Expansion Bays Total (Free) 2 ( 1 ) x front accessible - 5.25" x 1/2H ¦ 1 ( 1 ) x front accessible - 3.5" x 1/3H ¦ 1 ( 0 ) x internal - 3.5" x 1/3H
Expansion Slots Total (Free) 3 ( 2 ) x PCI ¦ 1 ( 0 ) x processor - Socket 478 ¦ 2 ( 1 ) x memory - DIMM 184-pin
Interfaces 1 x headphones - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ¦ 6 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A ¦ 1 x serial - RS-232 - 9 pin D-Sub (DB-9) ¦ 1 x parallel - IEEE 1284 (EPP/ECP) - 25 pin D-Sub (DB-25) ¦ 1 x keyboard - generic - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style) ¦ 1 x mouse - generic - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style) ¦ 1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 ¦ 1 x audio - line-in - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ¦ 1 x audio - line-out - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ¦ 1 x microphone - input - mini-phone 3.5 mm ¦ 1 x modem - phone line - RJ-11

Voltage Required AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
Power Provided 250 Watt

(Thanks dell.com):big_grin:

I know a few things I would like to begin with.

First of all I know there are bigger processors out there, much larger HDDs, better graphics cards, larger amounts of RAM.

So since I am new to all this stuff, (I posted specs from dell link), why would I need to change anything or rebuild just to run CS3 for flash developement, Graphic Design program? It runs as is but need better results

Answer:?
More memory (duh) 1Terrabit [nice]
Faster response time (okay). Bigger Processor [Speed!!!]

SO; what could I do Guru's:wtf:

I want to install a larger HDD for more space for all the great stuff I will create, dont want to wait for a slow refresh response (more RAM/faster processor), but I know my space is limited. Am I right when I say its tough to upgrade a Dell, as far as limits on space and processor upgrades, or can i do more than I think? Im not sure so Im coming to you technology geniuses for help. I dont want to spend alot, less than, IDK, $500.

Just trying to get some specs, some thoughts, some where to start. This price would not include the $100 for the 1T HDD, [but want some ideas on types and name brands] or monitor (want to know my expectations before buying something i dont need or see a difference in).

Like I said trying to get a grasp on the whole "build" thing, and realize I may not be giving enough info, and am being too vague.

Thanks in advance for your help, it's appreciated.:big_grin:

Well ill tell you right now you will need to just build a computer from ground up because you pretty much cannot upgrade allot in there without replacing 80% of everything in there. If you wont mind ordering online ill see what i can come up with on newegg give me some time.

You can reuse your current case, optical drive (if it is a DVD burner else you will need one), and power supply with this. The motherboard has HD4250 graphics which will leave your current graphics in the dust.

* AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor (Model: HDZ955FBGMBOX)
* GIGABYTE AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX Motherboard (Model: GA-880GMA-UD2H)
* G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (Model: F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL)
* Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (Model: ST31000528AS)

Combo Price: $334.00

* Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
* Windows 7 For Dummies

Combo Price: $119.98 (use code EMCZNYV77 to save $5 on Windows 7 Home Premium... short time offer)

Everything has free shipping as well.

Heres what i picked out for you quick from newegg for 543$ total and its a descent PC with a descent Video card which can do some gaming.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/9527/25223434.png

well at least he can add on the video card if anything and get a PSU in case he wants to get one down the line because the one that comes in those dell systems are so bad, i feel like shooting my self when i see one.

edit: looks like ive been beaten to the chase

Now that quad core, thats the newest stuff right?
I heard it smokes everything that used to be. Is that the same or better than running 2 dual cores?
Nice the mother board has a graphics card built in?

And I do have a dvd burner

Okay, Ill look into that,and I already have the windows 7 purchased.
Thanks guys.

Discussion still open.

You can go with what Trotter recommended and Fill the rest of the parts in with what i picked out, like the case, PSU, Video card CPU cooler. You can use your case but i would not recommend it, but its up to you.

To answer your question about the processor, yes this is newer than dual cores and preforms much better, The motherboard Trotter picked out has a built in Graphics card (HD4250) But if you plan on doing any graphical things like Photoshop or Light Gaming i would recommend getting the Video card i mentioned.

Sniper_13 said
To answer your question about the processor, yes this is newer than dual cores and preforms much better, The motherboard Trotter picked out has a built in Graphics card (HD4250) But if you plan on doing any graphical things like Photoshop or Light Gaming i would recommend getting the Video card i mentioned.
Wouldnt that be redundant, why would nt a built in HD4250 be good enough? I would only be running one or two programs at a time.

You can use your case but i would not recommend it, but its up to you

Why not? Do you think it would be a room problem? How could I go about getting something different? (Pawn shop, outlet)
Can you explain.?

I recommended a case in the build i gave you and as i mentioned if you will be doing anything that's graphically demanding like Video editing or Photoshop or Light Gaming then get the GPU i recommended if not then use the onboard one. its up to you.

You don't need a case because your current one will fit everything the only reason i would recommend one is because of the better cooling you get and looks. But thats up to you in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom