New Build, have to buy new OS????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillstalker

Baseband Member
Hi guys, im going to be building a budget gaming PC but to keep costs down im keeping the HDD, PSU and optical drives out of my old PC. My question is do I have to buy a new Windows 7 installation disc (for the activation code) for the new build if I already have Windows 7 installed on the old HDD? Thanks in Advance!

I wasn't sure about this either, I have just ordered a new system, I am sure windows will tell me that the code was used already. The nice thing is that you can install windows 7 and have it up and running for 30 days before you need to activate it, so that leaves time to go through MS support I guess. I bet someone already knows this answer though, so I will be glued to this thread.

You need a new OS when moving to a new board.

1. The OS will get confused with all the new hardware. It is looking for something that is not there and often fails to run.
2. Your OS will not be genuine anymore, because it is considered in a new system.

If your version of Win7 is an OEM (came on a prebuilt machine), then technically yes. An OEM copy is tied to a single computer and cannot be transferred. Even changing the motherboard can violate Microsoft's EULA as they view that as moving it to a different computer.

If, however, your version of Win7 is a retail copy then you are good to go without a problem. You will most likely have to reinstall it and all your programs, but you will be legal and legit.

Ok thanks a lot guys, my computer came for xp and i had to buy a retail pack pack of windows 7 so looks like i'll be ok, you've helped 2 people out here :)

You still may not qualify. If it was a retail upgrade then it cant be transferred. It has to be a full retail package.

well turns out, I had no issues at all reinstalling windows 7 on a new motherboard/proc, so not sure what circumstance this would not work, but mine worked fine. No extra authorization, just standard online auth.

youll find out in a month if mircosoft will allow it.... if not you will see a little pop up... pop up from time to time and at the bottom right of your screen it will say " this copy of windows is not genuine ". you can illegally download windows and install it, and it will be fine for the first month, after that like i said is when you will start getting messages and everything.

i plead the 5th as to how i know this information....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom