Build for home PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you want it to be fast you made the right choice on the SSD. Good choice on the A-Data drive to, it's pretty cheap for a SSD but still has a Sandforce controller just like all of the top drives.

^and you wonder why todays kids are messed... People can't wait 10 seconds extra.

It's not the time itself but the overall experience. A system with a SSD feels fast and completely responsive while any system using a hard drive has random short pauses that make the system feel sluggish.

It's like saying a Core i7 isn't a worthwhile upgrade over a Pentium 4.

Well maybe over a p4, but a core to quad.

Still don't think 5 secs is worth the money in a budget build.

Going from a 7200rpm hard drive to my OCZ Agility was a much more noticeable improvement in performance than going from a E2180 to a Phenom II X4 955 and it was cheaper too. If you at least have a modern dual core processor their isn't a more substantial upgrade you can do to your system than adding a quality SSD.

After getting used to the Agility on my desktop I ended up getting a even faster OCZ Vertex 2 for my Atom powered netbook and was equally amazed by the performance improvement. If a netbook is that bottlenecked by a hard drive it's hard to believe how much they are holding back a modern desktop

At this point I wouldn't build anything without a SSD.

first off, a short attention span isn't the cause of a problem, it IS a problem.

Secondly, I don't think that we need a debate over whether or not an SSD will be in this build. Patonb, you made your point (albeit an old one), but I'm afraid that I've made up my mind long ago about whether or not to include an SSD. And the answer is yes.

Question before I pull the trigger: What kind of difference would we see in a better graphics card? The only graphics intensive programs that I can see us running are pretty basic things-- Photo and video editing, photo/video uploading, light gaming (no WOW, COD, etc.- just basic kiddy stuff), internet gaming, and streaming video. So no serious gaming stuffs. The graphics cards I've been debating are the Nvidia GT 430 and GTS 450 and the ATI Radeon HD 4850, 5670, and 5750. Most important are the editing, uploading, and streaming because the little boys aren't paying for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom