Cannot Identify 2nd Monitor (DVI & HDI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zandre88

In Runtime
Hey everyone!

Well I've just run into a bit of a problem at the moment. When I first got this computer and built it I planned on having dual monitors from the beginning. However I didn't really put that into any of my questions or what I was looking for when I was recommended a build.

So anyways today I went to install my second monitor into my HDMI port on my ATI HD5870 thinking it wouldn't be any problem and it'd be ready to go right away but unfortunately that is not the case. I tried to install the drivers on my XFX graphics card but that didn't seem to make any difference and I can't seem to find any options to enable both the DVI and HDMI to work together at the same time.

So basically right now I have my main monitor running from the DVI port on my HD5870 and then I went ahead and plugged my 2nd monitor into the HDMI port on my card. However when I go into display settings in Windows I cannot get the other monitor to identify or show up. My 2nd monitor just is giving me the "No HDMI Cable" even though I know it isn't the port on the monitor itself because I had just been using it a few days ago on my laptop. So it isn't a problem with the monitor or the monitor HDMI port at least I do not believe it is.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem? Is there anything I can do to allow both screens to be used with different ports (DVI & HDMI)? Ahh more frustration but oh well hopefully I will get a semi-easy answer LOL.

Thanks in advance...

Do you have the latest drivers for your 5870? Does Catylist see anything, at all? Does that second monitor also have DVI? Try using that, see if you get anything.

Do you have the latest drivers for your 5870? Does Catylist see anything, at all? Does that second monitor also have DVI? Try using that, see if you get anything.

The 2nd monitor has a VGA input however the HD5870 only has one DVI output. It comes with an adapter to switch it to VGA if needed but I already have my main monitor connected to that input on the card. I have tried downloading the latest drivers, although I am going to give it another shot after this post. As for Catylist no it doesn't see the other screen at all. Even when I hit detect and what not. It will not show the monitor at all. I really hope I don't have to get some adapter because it will only show either DVI or HDMI not both. I think that would kind of suck. I'm sure someone else has done this though so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

What brand of the 5870 do you have? This most be a cut down one.

The brand of HD5870 I have is by XFX. What do you mean by "most be a cut down one." I am assuming you meant to say must but what do you mean? I am going to put a support ticket in with them and hopefully it won't take forever to hear back from them. Unfortunately they do not have any support forums that I can see just the way of contacting them through tickets.

OMFG!!!

I just realized I was making the dumbest stupid mistake and it is working fine now. The whole problem was I had a HDMI cord nearby where the one connected to my computer was and I connected the one that wasn't connected to my computer to the monitor. So yeah that was a stupid human error not an actual problem with the card or anything.

Thank you very much anyways for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom