x6 vs i7

Status
Not open for further replies.

robina_80

Banned
ok so core for core the i9** beats any x4 or x6 but surely the i7 (excluding the 970 and 980) they have only 4 physical cores vs the x6 six physical cores so surely thats got to count for something in future proofing or for multiple threaded applications i mean and i heard HT is rubbish for games but really good for runing multiple applications

Anything over 4 cores whether it be HT or physical is rubbish for games honestly. Thats why i went the cheap route and got me a wanabe i7 instead.

On a seriously note, first there isnt an i9. Secondly, the i7s still beat the X6 in most tests and gaming anyways due to having a faster architecture. In games its mostly a dual and tri-core race anyways because there are only a certain few games that properly utilize more than 2/3 cores.

i9s became the 6 core i7s, i980x and i970s.

Depending on your future, update 3 or 4 yrs, or new chip every year or two, will determine your wanted architecture.

I'd go 1366 if you don't plan an upgrade for 3 or more years... the chips are powerfull enough to last that long. If youre a new chiper every so often, a 1156 chips your freind.

I'd be getting worried on the am3 socket... you can only modify your chips for so long before youe forced to modify it, so am3 must be about to go out....

Bulldozer is supposed to be AM3+ which is backwards compatible again with AM3. The soul reason why i think the chip will fail because obviously its not "brand new".

1156 is pointless with Sandy Bridge due in Jan. Unless you get a 760 now and wait for the ASRock P67 1156 board.

I personally think quad core will be pretty good for games for the next couple of years be it Phenom II, i7, or i5. Long as you can clock them like a mother (like me).

Bulldozer is supposed to be AM3+ which is backwards compatible again with AM3. The soul reason why i think the chip will fail because obviously its not "brand new".

Bulldozer is NOT going to be compatible with AM3 motherboard. You will need to buy AM3+ motherboard if you upgrade to Bulldozer

However, AM3+ motherboard is going to be compatible with the current AM3 processors.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f62/bulldozer-requires-am3-socket-235580/?daysprune=365

In games its mostly a dual and tri-core race anyways because there are only a certain few games that properly utilize more than 2/3 cores.

That is why I bought a dual2core processor and overclocked it. Should do just fine for the next couple of years and then another build maybe with water cooling.

Most games only use 3 cores at most, you should focus more on clock speed rather than the number of cores on a chip. Right now AMD can only compete with Intel on price because the Intel chips consistently outperform AMD's chips, but more of your money would be better off spent in the GPU department if your a gamer anyway than a $1000 intel chip.

What is better depends what you intend to use it for, if its just gaming either AMD or Intel should be fine depending on what chip you go for, but more concern should be focused on a quality motherboard and a good GPU, or multiple GPUs in SLI or Crossfire. That'll have a lot more effect on your gaming experience than the CPU, as long as it's not so slow it becomes a bottleneck of course.

When you add multi GPU in the factor then you need a chip that can clock over 4ghz to get performance that is expected.

Does it really need to clock that high for multiple GPUs? I mean if your adding 2 GTX 580s then yea, maybe I can understand that, but do you really need that much processing speed if it was something more along the lines of 2 GTX 460s or less? This will be good info for me considering on my next build I'd like to have either a Crossfire or SLI setup, I'm also aiming to break 4ghz on air but I was thinking I just needed that to satisfy my ego, ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom